Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to check something on Saab History a couple of days ago and got the following message

www.saabhistory.com said:
You are unauthorized to access this website
Now I've since tried accessing Saab History from 3 different workplaces (so three different corporate internet connections), also 3 different home internet connections and my work and personal mobile. On all 8 different internet connections I get "You are unauthorized to access this website". At this point I remembered Sab commenting that he is also unable to access Saab History. So I've concluded that it seems Ryan has blocked Australia from his website.

I get no emails from there, but for some reason a few of us Aussies are blocked from his site! WTF!

Comes up with: "You are unauthorized to access this website".
I ended up getting onto the website by using the work internet connection from another country. While I'm not really that bothered I'm curious as to why he'd block a whole country. Is it cause Swade from Trollhattan Saab is in Australia?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still like to check what he's doing, see if he's stealing content or not.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
I really want to support saabhistory, I really do.

I have given the benefit of the doubt a few times now...

But wow.

I'll be banning myself then.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Wait a sec. Maybe he doesn't know that Australia's a continent, kinda like Sarah Palin and Africa?
this is clearly a NAFTA issue. No Australian Friendly Tubes Agreement.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
5 dollars says it is because he has some beef with trollhattansaab.net based in Australia. just speculation. ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Maybe you could call it your ability to block him. Bottle it and sell it to us for a nominal fee.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
You are unauthorized to access this website
This makes a mess of the English language.

"You are no longer authorized to view this website" would have been much better.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Wait, is he a GM employee? http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/Ryan_Emge

Also, found this on TS.com:

1985 Gripen said:
While I find the Saab History website a valuable resource to the Saab community, this kind of childish non-sense declaring someone their "arch-nemesis" and blocking an entire continent from viewing the site because of a disagreement with Swade is unacceptable.

As a result I will not be visiting the Saab History site, essentially boycotting it in solidarity with all of our fellow Australian Saabers. I encourage the rest of you to do so as well.

I also do not welcome e-mails from that website soliciting donations. While I have occasionally enjoyed features of that site in the past I do not feel any "duty" to support it financially. It's a nice site, but if it were gone tomorrow I really can't say I'd miss it. It's a good Saab data resource, but it lacks the "soul" of a place like TrollhattanSaab, Saab Central, or The Saab Link.

I have met Ryan, Saab History's owner, personally on several occasions and get along with him just fine. His internet persona is much different than his real-life persona.

Until this stupid childish feud is resolved and the block on Australian visitors to Saab History is lifted I will be boycotting the Saab History website, and I would suggest supporters of that site re-evaluate whether that's something they wish to support financially or otherwise.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Hmm, it just keeps piling up. It's amazing what you can find on google. http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/WASSAAB/index.html?bID=1584

for those blocked from TSN, this was posted on the WASSAAB board (dash marks seperate different posts):

More Ryan Emge Server Abuse Reports coming in...
Posted by Scott Paterson (# 13) (more from Scott Paterson) on Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:31:42
In Reply to: WASAAB Directors, Scott Paterson , Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:03:58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Users are reporting him trying to get them to do something about a Saab video project while using a variety of fake names... With some help, a list of his additional IPs from the past attack are coming in, compiled, and will be posted.

-Scott

----

From a number of sources that I trust and another administrator. Apparently, Ryan forged emails from at least a dozen different people. I'm glad this abuse is now fully exposed.

-Scott

-----

This guy is incredibly naive and ethically corrupt. He tried to get spamcop.net to mail a copy of the account password which it only does to the account holder's email address, but there again, the requesting IP was his Verizon IP.

These are Ryan's IP addresses in case anyone else (and I know more than a dozen people were victim's of his attempts at counterfeit emails).

If you've been subject to a copy of his attempt to unsubscribe from a mailing list, simply post them at spamcop.net. It will ignore the faked headers and send a powerful note with technical details to the Verizon admins who are taking Ryan's abuse very seriously as of this morning.

-Scott
spamcop.net

--------

Apparently, I was no the only one to be targetted by Ryan's sneaky yet quite naive plan. He tried to unsubscribe many people from a Saab mailing list with which he wasn't very happy. I've sent an official note to his ISP along with the headers of the original message and also ran them through Spamcop.net's service which also identifies the IP Ryan was using to send me regular emails and to post on the Saabnet.com bulletin boards. If this kid will forge emails on behalf of Saabers, he should be nowhere near your members' private information.

Good luck,

-Scott
------
I guess Ryan doesn't understand email headers and assumed he was anonymous but he's sending out email via Verizon.net using saab at saabnet.com as the from address.

fyi, in case anyone gets any weird stuff. Here's the original email with headers in tact.

I consider a gross abuse of the Internet.

-Scott

Return-Path: <saab at saabnet.com>
Received: from localhost.localdomain (pool-141-156-45-197.res.east.verizon.net [141.156.45.197])
by ip-64-139-33-19.dsl.sjc.megapath.net (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id j3C2dD1Q027595
for <saab at saabnet.com>; Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:39:15 -0700
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (www.doubleclick.net [127.0.0.1])
by localhost.localdomain (8.12.11/8.12.11) with SMTP id j3C2QROK004121
for <saab at saabnet.com>; Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:26:28 -0400
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:26:27 -0400
Message-Id: <200504120226.j3C2QROK004121xlocalhost.localdomain>
To: saab at saabnet.com
Subject:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interestingly I tried Saab History today and discovered that it seems the block has been lifted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts