Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Norcross, GA-The new Saab 9-2X is the next significant step in the biggest product development program in Saab's history. With standard all-wheel-drive, powerful engines, and distinctive European design - as well as versatile 5-door body style - it is a unique offering in a developing new niche in the car market: the premium sports compact segment. The first Saab 9-2X models will go on sale in the U.S. and Canada on June 1, 2004 - ahead of many competitors who are also bringing products to this market.

With aggressive pricing, the Saab 9-2X will be the first premium brand vehicle for many of its customers. With this vehicle, Saab expects to attract customers, in their early stages of their career, who are cosmopolitan and open-minded, and who appreciate the sophisticated style of a European brand.

Pricing starts at $22,990 for the 9-2X Linear, equipped with a 165-hp 2.5L 4-cylinder engine. Standard equipment includes 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/55 R16 all-season tires, AM/FM/CD stereo system, climate control system, cruise control, tilt-adjustable steering column, power door locks with remote keyless entry, power windows, power-adjustable exterior mirrors and rear window wiper/washer.

The 9-2X Aero model, with its 227-hp turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L 4-cylinder engine, is priced at $26,950. In addition to equipment on the 9-2X Linear, the Aero model distinguishes itself with larger front brake discs, hood-mounted intercooler air intake, front fog lamps, unique light alloy wheels, automatic climate control system, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, metallic-rimmed instrument dials, sport textile upholstery, leather wrapped sport steering wheel, shifter knob and handbrake handle.

Both Linear and Aero models come with a 5-speed manual transmission or an optional 4-speed automatic transmission. Available option packages include leather-appointed trim and upholstery, power sunroof, xenon headlights, heated seats and more.

Saab Cars USA, based in Norcross, GA, is the importer and distributor of Saab 9-2X, 9-3 and 9-5 automobiles.
Taken from a Saab Cars USA press release.

IMHO, this is awesome news. The price for the 9-2X Aero is comparable to a similarly equipped WRX. And, given that with the Saab you're getting a non-ugly front end, 3 years of free service, and arguably a better chance at a good discount, I think it'll be a great value.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
danburysaab said:
Now all we need is an STI version!!! Maybe next year. They could call it an SPG AERO 9-2x ?
If I didn't have a wife that was highly concerned about warranties and such, I'd buy the base N/A 9-2X, drop in an STi engine and suspension, and spiffy up the interior a bit.

Then, I'd find a magazine to do an article on "The 9-2X Aero that Saab Should Have Built." :D

·
Administrator
668 Posts
damn that things gona have 2 more HP than my car had stock :(

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I think this car will do OK, much better than the 9-7x will do first year. I mean, yeah, us Saab folk know it is a basically a WRX, but you can't really say the WRX is a crappy ride. I mean, for the money anyways. I think this car will be lots of fun and will appeal to those who might like the WRX but not the "japanese" styled front end. Only time will tell, though. and this may help focus some attention on the "performance" and turbo charged aspect of Saabs that people may not be familiar with.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
abdukted1456 said:
I think this car will do OK, much better than the 9-7x will do first year. I mean, yeah, us Saab folk know it is a basically a WRX, but you can't really say the WRX is a crappy ride. I mean, for the money anyways. I think this car will be lots of fun and will appeal to those who might like the WRX but not the "japanese" styled front end. Only time will tell, though. and this may help focus some attention on the "performance" and turbo charged aspect of Saabs that people may not be familiar with.
Agreed.

I feel like I've been around the import (european and asian) scene long enough to have heard plenty of people utter the following "if" statements:

"If only Subaru would make a WRX with a non-ugly front end and a slightly more upscale interior (i.e. real climate control, better stereo, etc)

and:

"If only Saab would make something more performance oriented at a lower price point than their current halo cars (Viggen, 9-5 Aero), especially something with AWD!"

So, here with the 9-2X, we have an answer to both if's. And what does everyone do? Bitch about it. How typical. :roll:

Personally, I don't think Saab could have found a more appropriate platform-sharing partner than Subaru. Currently, Subaru is to the international Rally scene what Saab was 20 or 30 years ago. Both are quirky, small volume outfits compared to their respective kin. Both place an emphasis on turbocharging as a means of increasing performance, and both have used (or still use) highly unconventional engine layouts (Subaru with flat engines, Saab with 2-strokers and/or inline 3's). Both started out as manufacturers of tiny, unconventional vehicles, though they've grown in different directions.

Sure, it would be great if Saab could magically pull a fully developed and tested in house design out of it's ass, but looking at the current situation realistically, I think we should be celebrating this car to a high degree. I mean, when you consider the vast array of horrible alternatives that GM could have pulled out of it's corporate stable to badge as a Saab, I think we made out pretty damn well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts