Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to change a head gasket on a 900SE? There's one for sale nearby and I'm looking to get myself back into a Saab now that I'm settled in where I moved to. The only head gasket I've done was on my 85' SPG and it was quite a bit of work. I don't have anything more than your basic tools like wrenches and screw drivers but wanted to know what all is entailed in changing a head gasket. There's also a possibility if they overheated it too long the head may be warped right? Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's almost identical procedure to the SPG head, except it doesn't have the (easy to break) external oil pipes for the cam bearings.

Take it out with the intake and exhaust manifolds attached (just undo the 4 bolts for the turbo flange) and separate them on your bench, it'll make your life much more pleasant.

Make sure you tilt it towards the front of the car as you take it off or you can break off the top of the lower timing chain guide (same as on the SPG).

The NG's have plastic/aluminum radiators, if the head gasket was bad enough to blow combustion pressure into the water jacket it's not uncommon for the plastic end tanks on the radiator to rupture, check it for cracks / leaks very carefully. The spout where the upper rad hose clamps on likes to snap off as well.

Put in a new T-stat.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anywhere I can find a good step by step guide? I did my SPG head gasket about 3 years ago and hardly remember a thing on doing it lol. Would you say it's an easy enough task to handle out of a house garage?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm asking though if there's a guide I could follow since I don't remember anything from when I did the SPG. There isn't any special tools required is there? I don't have much here but I could pick up anything I'd need like a specialty socket or something.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never mind guys the seller got back to me and informed me the car actually has a thrown rod as well so it's going to need the motor rebuilt or a swap which I don't have the money or time for, thanks for the help though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts