Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Saab 9000 CSE turbo with 175k miles. Driving along at 35 mph on a local road, all of a sudden engine dies. I pull over and try to start: it cranks, but no cigar. Walking around, I notice a nicely massive coolant leak. What I want to know is, how badly is it damaged. Does not starting mean I've blown a gasket? Could it be just the water pump? I am clueless, and would appreciate any answers.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Water pump wouldn't cause the car to not start. Did you start to over heat or was it just all of a sudden? Did you check your oil/coolant? If you did blow a headgasket you are gona have either coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. It could be that both problems aren't related too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car didn't overheat, it just happened all of a sudden :confused: Oil change was due in 1000 miles. The radiator had been having some issues, leaking coolant and such, but had been fixed. A hose had fallen loose, leading to the leak. Would such a leak prevent the car from starting though? I'm guessing its a gasket or something major :-? I'll know more when I talk to the mechanic tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath though, I think it's done for.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
i'm certainly no interwebz diagnostician but i'd bet on a DIC or fuel pump. if it didn't overheat and grenade, a HG shouldn't cause a sudden shutdown like that.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
There is insufficient information to answer the question.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
There is insufficient information to answer the question.
Agreed - you are going to have to play doctor and tell us more.

Currently - do you have a spare DI unit to swap on and see if it starts? Do you have a means to check for Fuel Pressure? Can you hear the pump prime when you lay beneath as a friend turns the key to "on" - then cranking does it hum? Sounds like either a spark or fuel problem... crank sensor also does control these... Time to diag!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.