Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my parents car, I'm 14, I get this Saab in 2 years when I get my licence. I love this car, but we have a problem. When going 55-65 mph, the car RPMs will shoot from about 2500 to 3500 and then the car will die, oil pressure light will come on as well as the check engine light, and it starts once the engine has cooled down. We replaced the ignition amplifier, and now we think it's the coil or something with the spark, or distributor cap. We have our Saab mechanic looking at it, great mechanic, nice guy, so I think we're all set, but does anyone else have anymore ideas, this is what I came up with from doing research. Thanks!

-Sean

P.S. any chance of it being the 02 sensor?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
thats pretty awesome I got my first C900 when I was 14...

·
User
9,193 Posts
I too got my c900 when I was 14.

If this is a non turbo, it's the cps... plain and simple. No doubt in my mind. If it is indeed a non turbo, the new cps is a couple hundred from eeuroparts... or, you could do what I did and just buy the generic honeywell sensor online for 20 bucks and solder the wires and call it a day. Works perfectly. However, if you have no mechanical skills or tools, I wouldn't recommend doing this job yourself as getting the crank pulley out is not a fun task if you've never done it before on a c900.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reply to zingZACH

Cool, we have our Saab mechanic looking at it right now. I do have a little engine background, even though I'm 14. This is a non-turbo model, I'll reply once we get the Saab back and tell you what it was. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok, I just got a call from my mechanic literally 5 mins after I posted my reply to zingZACH, saying, that is is indeed the CPS, (crank position sensor) thanks for your help, once we get it back I'll post some pics of the car.

91 Saab c900 (non-turbo)

·
10,303 Posts
Ok, but if you want to drink from the viggen keg at carlisle, tell me you are 21 ok?

Also I edited the tags to be more accurate to the thread.

·
User
9,193 Posts
^ lol... "Tweek, getting kids shitty at Carlisle since 2001"... ;)

Anyways, good to hear it was the CPS. Let us know what your bill was too, I am curious to see how much it would cost the average person to have this done at a garage instead of doing it yourself like I did.

Best of luck with the car, and get some pics of it up here! :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
gotta make it out to carlisle if your not too far..

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ 86notchback

hey man, I was in Portland on Monday and saw your 86 notchback 900 turbo, it has the saablink.com sticker on the rear right side window right? That's how I came to this site. I'm from Rockland, picking up someone from the airport, you stopped next to us at a red light.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
mhmm was it a 2dr or a 4dr notchback and what color?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
mhmm wasnt me... .was it a 2dr with a hatch or a 2dr with a trunk.....

this is my 2dr notchback

and this is my 4dr notchback

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh guess it wasn't you, some other guy with a silver 2 door saab 900 hatchback with a saablink.com sticker on the back window.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
soon enough I cant wait for carlisle.... unfortunately this car is off to the road for atleast another yr+ whlie I sort out the paint and a whole shit-ton of issues..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I saw a gray might be silver 4 door rocking the Hellas in Portland tonight...I was trying to find my way back home after shopping at the mall. looked to be in rough shape.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was at the mall that night too, I saw a 2 door grey 900 hatchback, with a saablink.com decal on the right rear window, any idea where I could get one of those?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was at the mall that night too, I saw a 2 door grey 900 hatchback, with a saablink.com decal on the right rear window, any idea where I could get one of those?
Search the vendor section of this site and you will find one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts