Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this online the other day... not the greatest photoshopping in the world, but a fun concept. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
replace the over sized wing with a whale-tail like an SPG. If you have a front wheel drive car, a big wing like that is going to give it LESS traction. Just me being anal about aerodynamics and car properties I guess, idk. haha

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figure it's be the AWD system, plus the guy who did this isn't a Saab enthusiast, I'm guessing. I agree, the wing is a little over the top (as is the splitter in front) but the concept in general isn't a bad one... probably a hatch, so there's a little utility to it, back seat access would be similar to a Viggen coupe, but more than likely there'd be more room back there.

Either way, it'd be neat to see a car like that compete with the likes of the new Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. Let's see - AWD, 500 bhp,...what else? :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yeah that's true, I guess I was just thinking about taking it to a track where an oversized wing WOULDN'T help.
yes it would help, depending on how the car was set up they're good on long fast sweepers. plus if the car is loose. that wing would never be on a street car i think the rendering is for the prospect of a race car, not a street car hence the center lock wheels, splitter, and canards.....

but i love it as a race car!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like the concept picture, but I can't really see the 9-5 ever going that route UNLESS Saab takes a page out of Infiniti's book, offering two versions like the G37 coupe & sedan.

Overall, the styling in the picture reminds me of the CTS-V or G37. I think that overall, Saab would be well served to offer a variant of the 9-3 in a coupe, although I'm not too sure how such are selling these days. Either way, I'd be excited to see Saab take up their aesethics a few more notches. They've already made big strides with the new model introductions, but why not take even a bigger leap? It's time to go from incorporating small portions of the aero-x concept car, to going big, taking chances, and putting something out there that is truly ahead of the curve. That, whether featured in a coupe or sedan, well sell cars. The question is, do they have the finances, engineering, or IP to really get it done?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
^ that, but It would be nice to see saab put the brakes on - turn around and get back into Rally races as well - and sell a streetable version. Go after the STI's and the Evo's! There is no reason Saab can't now with XWD on their cars. Again - this would have to be a VERY limited # of cars sort of like the SPG's and Viggen's. Not a mass overproduced car like the TurboX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts