Saab Link Forums banner

Saab 9-5 Auto to manual trans Swap information

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mike d 
#1 ·
Long time no post! but its good to be here

I am working on manual swapping my 2005 9-5 using parts from a 2002, and figured i would start something to document the important bits. If you are reading this i assume you know the nuts/bolts end already, so i wont go into that.

Electrical
Below changes are made in the h16-7 plug (wis name) this is the big grey transmission plug that is more inside the engine bay
  • Pin 12 & !4, these go the the reverse light switch on the manual trans, extend with correct plug for reverse light switch.
  • Splice pin 11 &15 together, This completes the starter circuit when car no longer has neutral safety switch
  • Splice pin 13 & 5 together, This is for the cruise control brake and clutch switch

Under dash electrical
  • lower clutch switch is the starter interrupt, this goes in line of the main starter relay which is located less than 1 foot away from the switch. This interrupts the red wire from the starter relay
  • Upper clutch switch is used for the cruise control This switch interrupts the signal wire from brake light switch. 9-5s have two brake light switchs, the one with the smaller gauge wire is for the cruise control. connect upper clutch switch as an interrupt of the cruise brake light switch

Last Step, remove Trans computer behind glove box.

Other notes,
-my donor car being a 2002, had the older style key, i found you Can swap key barrels from an 03+ car into an older shifter counsel. doing this will keep your car on the same key.

- Clutch pedal housing, These were different from year to year, although some parts of my 05's were pre-drilled, they did not have the lower clutch switch bracket built in, also the left and right side of the clutch pedal bracket seem to be a "matched set" as there are indents made to line up the assembly. Make sure to pull this whole assembly from your donor car when attempting the swap. Installing the clutch pedal is the single worst part of this job. and must be done with the transmission removed from the car due to bolt access on the firewall.

- When in this project, its a good time to replace shifter bushings, drop/clean oil pan, and inspect suspension components. No reason to skimp now.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Update, the car is running, Everything works as it did from the factory A few more notes
- Changing the cars Vin in DICE to one of a manual trans makes everything on the bus read correctly, as well as tells the ECU what the correct gear ratios are. To do this, you divorce the radio, Change the Vins 7th digit to "5" in dice, Run the immobilizer program in Twice, Re-marry the radio. re-program the abs/esp. Once this is completed you can unplug the Auto Trans computer from behind the dash, and remove it.

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey, Posting a quick update for later reference, If you have a 4spd auto car, (model year 99-02) Below is what the electrical connections look like, these are on the h10-7 plug if you reference WIS

-to override the NSS system, jump pins 6, to pin 10
-to make cruise control work, jump pin 8, and pin 3 together, add in the upper clutch switch same as later cars
-reverse lights are pin 9 & 7, connect these wires to the plug that goes to the reverse light switch on the manual transmission

Also, here is the Tech 2 procedure, follow these steps in order
1) divorce radio
2) change cars internal vin in Dice to a manual trans (7th digit becomes "5")
3) re-add Sid to and select manual trans
4) re add ABS to show manual trans
5) Run Twice immobilizer program
6) re-marry radio