Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my Apexi Safc lastnight on my 1989 c900 n/a 16v 5speed. i wired it in just like the manual says ( i have installed a safc2 in my talon so this went rather smoothly). unlike the dsm world the settings arnt as clear cut.

for wiring i cut the orange wire to pin 7 of the lh2.4 and used the orange wire into the safc and the pink wire outputting the the LH. i used the switched green white wire (only problem with this is that it flickers off right before cranking). the ground have been done properly, black w/ white wire, brown wire close to the ecu, black wire 1" away from the brown wire away from the ecu, tach signal spliced from the yellow white wire from the back of the gauge cluster tach. all connections have been soldered.

the car is running as if the airflow sensor is not outputting to the ecu. so to make sure i did not screw anything up i jumpered across the safc harness (with the safc detached) and the car ran fine.

i have the settings for cyl "4", tps "**", hotwire "in 6" "out 6"

right now all the ne points are zero'd out and when adjusted do not have any effect on AFR (wideband is installed)

what are you guys using for settings those who run safcs?

thanks ahead and sorry for the long post

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Never seen anyone put one of these on a Saab.

·
Registered
109 Posts
these are meant for cars that did not originally have a turbo system like nissan 240sx, honda civic, etc. with OE water cooled turbo cars with factory ecu tuned for boost there is no need for any cool down period. however if you are running an oil cooled only turbo some ignition system like MSD's btm instead of the apc system then you may need it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think you're confused, an AFC, or 'Super' AFC is a sort of piggyback on the stock ECU to modify fuel delivery. You're thinking of a turbo timer, that allows the car to continue running for a short period of time after the ignition key has been removed.

To answer the initial question, I've never seen an AFC used in any saab, so you may be treading in new territory there. Not sure what the point is on an n/a, your best bet for power is just to swap in a turbo motor.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeap he sounds very much confused with a turbo timer, the safc is used to modify the input signal for the airflow sensor, they have been run before raul who is banned i believe has used it and a few others between here and saabcentral.

the car is going to be turbo charged at some point, i have everything to do it (from another project)...i am not going to use t5 if i have to go that route i will just find another project to work on.

anyhow thanks for the help and hopefully someone will stuble across this thread and be able to help me out.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yeap he sounds very much confused with a turbo timer, the safc is used to modify the input signal for the airflow sensor, they have been run before raul who is banned i believe has used it and a few others between here and saabcentral.

the car is going to be turbo charged at some point, i have everything to do it (from another project)...i am not going to use t5 if i have to go that route i will just find another project to work on.

anyhow thanks for the help and hopefully someone will stuble across this thread and be able to help me out.
why are you against t5?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
purely because i do not want to have to purchase anymore parts, i had everything laying around from when i boosted my accord a few years ago and i figured i could throw them on this since there supposed to be tough cars, i do not intend on breaking any records (especially since its a t25 turbo). i just want something boosted while i finish up my talon. when i found rauls post back from 2005 i figured i would finally try it and i am not having much success with information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and thats the problem, yes t5 is great, yes MS is a good solution and a universal one. its just really crappy that even tho its just a hack, there is very minimal support from the saab community at all to get things to work outside of t5 and MS. i ran a safc on my dsm for a year, is it a hack yes, did it alow me to max out my 50 trim turbo (with other suporting mods of course), very much so. its just unfortunate no one is really willing to help out with anything other than t5 it or ms it

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
i dont think that no one is willing to help just no one has done it. so your kinda on your own. T5 is the most popular and if you get creative you can do it for next to nothing and have an awesome running car

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i experimented with one on a 9000 yeaaars ago.

the problem is they just dont have enough resolution to make it worth while, and they are a pain in the ass to tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i can understand how there isnt enough resolution to make for a good tune, it is after all just a hack. i guess the days of safc is just over in the saab world. i will probably just post it for sale on the dsmforums and find a used MS ecu to try and get this to work out, i just missed one for 40 bucks locally too.
and the only thing i am really looking for with this safc right now is to even get it to idle right, its ideling like the maf is unplugged. this is probably were i should just can the idea all together

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did it like 3 years ago on my 1989 SPG. It works ok, but problem is that when AFC mods the air mass meter signal to the ECU, the ecu will read different part of the fuel map and car won't run right. in LH Jetronic air mass meter is the most important sensor.

With chip burners being so cheap now and software support on ecuproject.com, why mess with piggy back systems that are $100+

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i finally did get it working. it was my stupidity i wired it to a karman vortex like what i am used to, me being dumb and not looking at the right page of the manual. so i wired it correctly now and it works ok, i am still working the bugs out of the car so it will be a while before the turbo goes on. the reason why i chose the safc is because i already had it from my talon. i might look into burning chips once this fails lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts