Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is in progress but i have managed to successfully implement a s-afc and blitz boost controller in my 9-3. I'm continuing to test it out but it looks as though it may be a good alternative to having the entire ecu changed or buying a unit from maptun, etc....

will keep you posted

it'll be done by the august saab run for those of you coming to ny for that

saabvos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now, the system is acting as a pass through so i'm not changing any parameters, it's set right now to view rpm, throttle position, correction and knock

saabvos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Is that what you're going to monitor when actually tuning it?

What other parameters can you monitor? What signals can you (or are you planning to) alter?

Is your car T5 or T7?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a T5. i'm still playing with the afc so i can't remember off the top of my head what options i can play with. will post more as details progress.

saabvos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Basically what the afc does go inline with the map sensor. As you change setting the afc modifys the voltage sent to the map sensor. Thus adding or subtracting fuel for the specified rpm. I used it for my fuel management with bigger injectors on my turbo honda.
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
I had an Apexi S-AFCII before as well, and I tried to implement it however I could find the correct wires to tap.

From what others had told me...it won't help to richen the car at higher boost levels, but is mainly used to lean out fuel levels at least on a stock car. An upgraded fuel system Im sure could benefit from this, but stock i don't believe so.

So let us know how it works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Seems to me like you are missing an important element here - timing.

How can you proberly tune without being able to adjust it?

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
NVigR8 said:
Seems to me like you are missing an important element here - timing.

How can you proberly tune without being able to adjust it?

-Steve
This is what Ive been trying to figure out lately. I bought a N/A 900 head with all the internals and have been thinking up ways to make adjustable cam gears.

As for ignition timing.. I have considered swtiching from a D.I. cassette to a distributer. I know of no way to control ignition timing with the d.i. set-up.

I am definately waiting to see how that s-afc turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Not sure if you are NA or Turbo. But on my old turbo honda with the afc setup I used a MSD Boost Timing Master. That retarded the timing a set amount per lb of boost. =]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there are a lot of good questions and concerns...i'm going to try tuning it this week...once i know conclusively whether it works or not, i'll post again w/ more details. btw my car is turbo

saabvos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
The whole point of the afc is to just trick the ECU by adjusting certain signal(s), and letting *it* decide what to do for fueling and timing, right?

Regarding the boost controller, what's the cutoff point for the stock ECU? Are you planning on trying to defeat that somehow? That's the big advantage I see in going with an aftermarket ECU as opposed to tricking it and/or using a boost controller. . .
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
driver found said:
Regarding the boost controller, what's the cutoff point for the stock ECU? Are you planning on trying to defeat that somehow? That's the big advantage I see in going with an aftermarket ECU as opposed to tricking it and/or using a boost controller. . .
Thats a good point. The SAFC isn't going to help much(if at all) since you can't raise your boost levels past 15.5 psi on the stock ECU. Unless you find a way to get rid of fuel cut, your still going to be limited to 15.5....and at this level the T5 still receives ample fuel.
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
driver found said:
Regarding the boost controller, what's the cutoff point for the stock ECU? Are you planning on trying to defeat that somehow? That's the big advantage I see in going with an aftermarket ECU as opposed to tricking it and/or using a boost controller. . .
Thats a good point. The SAFC isn't going to help much(if at all) since you can't raise your boost levels past 15.5 psi on the stock ECU. Unless you find a way to get rid of fuel cut, your still going to be limited to 15.5...and at this level the T5 still receives ample fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I plan on buying the apexi afc sometime soon with my sqr stage 3 ecu that is already installed, i still think the afc can fine tune the stage 3 ecu alot at higher boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
socci said:
I plan on buying the apexi afc sometime soon with my sqr stage 3 ecu that is already installed, i still think the afc can fine tune the stage 3 ecu alot at higher boost.
Why not just have an SQR tuner adjust your chip?

Is the ECU aware of boost through any means other than the MAP sensor?

Does the cutoff run off the MAP sensor signal? If so, and you're adjusting that signal, then you're also adjusting the cutoff; though probably for the worse if you're trying to trick it into adding more fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I personally do what is said above. I dont see how the afc will benefit you on a saab which already has enough fuel up until boost cut. If you wanna play around. Atleast do it with a system that will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you got more fuel in through some mechanical means (higher pressure FPR maybe?) and then used the AFC to lower the MAP signal instead of raising it - the two efforts would cancel eachother out as far as the amount of fuel injected, but the ECU would be seeing a lower MAP signal, thus the fuel cutoff would be higher than the stock setting.

It would be a pretty convoluted way to accomplish that though, and probably more expensive/complicated than popping a chip in, which also gets you some degree of support.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top