Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us, especially Northern salty climate cars. Tend to get rust along the doors, and from stone chips. Instead of grinding the bejesus out of our cars. Pick up some Naval Jelly from the hardware store.

1. Pressure wash all the paint you can off the section.

2. Glop a healthy amount of Naval Jelly onto rusted surfaces.

3. Wait 1 hour, hose off, and re-apply if needed.

4. Continue step 3 as needed.

5. Prime and paint.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Re: Rust Removal, with Naval Jelly. (coming soon)

Tweek's Turbos said:
3. Wait 1 hour, hose off, and re-apply if needed.
bare metal + water = more rust.... maybe just wiping down, or rise off and wipre dry quickly - Surface rust grows FAST.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
a had some minor rust on a fender on my old 325e.

I sanded it down really good, washed it with isopropyl instead of water. sanded, again and washed with more isopropyl. Then masked off the area and painted... Worked well for a cheap easy fix on a college budget.

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DeLorean said:
pink crap that don't do shit.
If it didn't work, why am I making a tutorial on it? :wink:

Just wait for the pics...if it didn't work for you..you didn't leave it on long enough.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yeah well chop chop lets see some pics!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
This should be interesting.

·
7,595 Posts
ok, fine is does not do nothing. it does SLIGHYLY more than nothing.

See, in order to fix rust properly, it needs to be taken down to bare metal and then coated with your choice of primer and then painted. trust me, I have played with the "rust dissolving" stuff before. it may help, may make it look a little better, but the rust will just come back. there is a reason they call rust "cancer". unless 100% is removed and the bare metal painted the rust will simply return.

Using rust remover to “fix” rust would be kind of like hiring Homer Simpson to fix a houses foundation.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
If it worked for you Tweek, and others try it and think it works for them...then by all means great!!

I may try it since i get the same rusted chip marks, and would rather try this then get my doors and hood repainted. Seems logical to at least try right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts