Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing my turbo xs boost controller soon, and was wondering since i will be running at a higher psi, (around 15) would it be wise to get an adjustable FPR, and a gauge...that way i can check if im running lean, and add a little more pressure for fuel...If i can and this is the case...what is the difference in gettin a chip, aposed to gettin a FPR, taking off the stock limiter, and upping the boost to say 20psi.....

also what can the stock fuel pump and injectors take as far as horse power and how much boost can u run with stock fuel setup....

i guess ill run the mbc for now.with or without the fpr,

what do you all think... :shock:

·
Administrator
302 Posts
The general opinion on STCS (SAAB Turbo Club of Sweden) is that MBC are very dangerous. As our SAABs have a very advanced engine control program, fooling that by tuning pressure and fuel by hand can severly damage your engine. Since the ECU no longer have control over the pressure and fuel you´ll never know what will happen if knock or lean condition occurs.
A better way is to buy a real ECU-upgrade from a respectable tuning company!

·
Registered
122 Posts
bollman said:
The general opinion on STCS (SAAB Turbo Club of Sweden) is that MBC are very dangerous. As our SAABs have a very advanced engine control program, fooling that by tuning pressure and fuel by hand can severly damage your engine. Since the ECU no longer have control over the pressure and fuel you´ll never know what will happen if knock or lean condition occurs.
A better way is to buy a real ECU-upgrade from a respectable tuning company!
A modified ECU will include fuel maps and controls to allow for higher boost levels. The safety of this mod will of course depend on the quality of software in the ECU.

A series installed MBC will reduce boost lag and improve low RPM torque without risk as the max boost level is still managed by the APC. The best of both worlds is to install both a modded ECU and S-MBC.

The APC is a bleeder valve and will always allow some pressure on the wastegate. This can add to boost lag. Series installed MBCs are where you install the MBC in-line between the turbo and the APC with the MBC set at a level where it opens at low boost levels. At low boost levels, the S-MBC prevents the wastegate from opening by withholding pressure from the APC whereas at high boost levels, the S-MBC is open, allowing the APC to regulate boost. Its the best of both worlds. In series configuration, DO NOT set the MBC to high boost levels or it will override the APC and ruin the benefits of this configuration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts