Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what the title says. Whenever I have the a/c on, i get a secondary growl that accompanies the engine. Louder with revs, falls when revs go down. It's 99.99% NOT the compressor b/c it did this with the previous one, and the one I have now is brand spanking new saab OEM installed by a good shop.

I'm thinking tensioner or the tensioner pulley but im not sure which. I'm sad to say that I did replace the pulleys last year but I used scantec ones. Naturally I'd just blame the pulley but when I run it and I look at it (even idling), the tensioner itself looks like it has a bit of wobble to it (parallel to the engine)

Is this normal? What's the likelyhood that the tensioner itself fails?

P.S.
If anyones feeling extra smart, a little help with my brakes would be appreciated. See: http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50313

particularly post #8

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Does it sound like a weird alien aircraft? If I could reproduce the sound in text, it would look something like this: rrrrrreeeeeeoooooooouuuuuuurrrrreeeeeeooouuurrr

Must be that aircraft heritage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yeah I'm definitely curious about, as are most people who have ridden in my car. But, I figure the air still blows pretty cold so I'm not gonna worry about it till it's broken. lol

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont remember it doing it before I put on the scantech pulley.....I might just put a genuine one.....
what kinda pulleys are you running?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The AC in a NG or old skool 93 is not quiet. I had 2 compressors replaced under warranty and after a little run time, they made the same noise. It's almost embarrassing at a stoplight it's so loud.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this one did it after 0 runtime, so i dont believe its the compressor. It just seems unfathomable that a part that doubled the amount of sound a car produces would reach production.....

and also the ORIGINAL compressor on this car that died 2 years ago of a failed pulley bearing never made that sound. Made lotsa other sounds, but never the rawr I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have all stock pulleys as far as I know.

Which pulley did you replace with the scantech?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I had a 2002 9-3 last year that did the same exact thing. Problem turned out to be the alternator. While it worked fine, the bearings within it, as well as the external pulley driving it, were toast. With the AC on, it put a further load on it, producing the noise you're describing. Your issue may or may not have the same cause. Good luck

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had a 2002 9-3 last year that did the same exact thing. Problem turned out to be the alternator. While it worked fine, the bearings within it, as well as the external pulley driving it, were toast. With the AC on, it put a further load on it, producing the noise you're describing. Your issue may or may not have the same cause. Good luck
Think that happened to me too a few years back. It would only buzz or whatever when idling or <5mph. Ended up being the alternator. Funny thing is, this is starting to happen again now...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting I never even considered that as an option, but do you think if this has been going on for over 1.5 years the alternator would have flat out died already?

How hard of a job is the alternator? Ill look at the pulleys later today...and probably will adopt a leave it till something breaks attitude.

·
Registered
58 Posts
during my breaks at school ill go and listen to the radio in my car. with the key at its furthest setting before starting the ac will come on and a couple seconds after that sound you guys are talking about will appear. when i turn the key back off the sound can stilll be heard i have had two 95 900se's and the both of them have done this same thing.. i dont think what he is talking about is the alternator because in my case the car isnt running nor the alternator spinning to produce a sound so ugly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gordan I wonder if the sound you're hearing is the ACC fan inside the cabin (assuming you have ACC)

because your a/c does not start without starting the car, just the ventilation fan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i bet thats it, i just reread what i wrote and it doesnt make sense to have the ac come on when the car isn't running..... is there any way to fix this? its pretty effing annoying lol

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it's the little fan with the grille next to your seat heater switches. Pop it out and clean/lube it. I used wd40 but ppl say not to, worked well for me though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
that sounds similar to the sound my alternator made before it died as well. not a difficult job over all.. put the top bolt in first

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks Ero. ill do that in the AM after class..... if i eat alot of lays potato chips can i just rub my fingers on the fan and that will lube it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys how would one test the belt tensioner for being on its way out?

I would rather test and replace it now rather than have it give out in the dead of winter.

I REALLLYYYYY doubt it is the alternator, wouldnt it have popped a pulley already if the bearing was bad for almost 2 years now.

Also on that note, is there a point in buying a used tensioner? Its not that expensive new. How prone to failure are the tensioners?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts