Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im slightly confused, will a 5dr roof rack fit on a 3dr, ive heard mixed answers. And if no jw why.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I dont see how they could.

The 5-door racks go in under the door seals on all 4 doors.

The 3-door has a tab you pull out of the roof and it looked like it clipped in somehow since there was no door to open to expose a seal.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
IIRC, I think it works the same. Either way, the rack goes into the holes drilled on the car for that purpose. The only difference is the fit kit that goes with them. Both the 3dr and 5dr ng900 can use the same Thule (for example) foot pack, but due to mounting differences for the rear feet, its the fit kit that sets them apart. The 3dr takes the 229 fit kit, 5dr takes 116. I say this because I have sold rack systems at several places I've worked.

So yes, the rack itself will fit, but you'll need a different fit kit to make it attach properly.

For reference purposes, I verified this at Thule's website, www.thule.com.

·
Registered
587 Posts
A five door kit can work on a three door I believe.

However, the trim pieces above the rear windows need to be removed for rack installation and removal. There are two nuts inside hidden behind the small upper window surround, and another screw visible when the hatch is opened. I think there is one at the front under the door seal, but I dont remember right now.

For fitment the bolts that the three door rack mount to need to be removed and the five door rack should (in theory) be able to fit into those vacated holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.