Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how much drag do you think is created by roof racks on our saabs. Specifically a 00 9-3. I love the way my car looks with it on, but was wondering how drastically it effects Gas milage and if its worth taking off during long road trips and racing friends.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
meh, i got 24 mpg driving CO to PA a few years ago with a kayak on my roofracks... i think the best i got with a naked roof was like 33. not sure i ever made the full drive with just a roofrack though

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i dont carry anything on mine 99% of the time and i have no fairing just the 2 bars.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have had a roof rack with fork mount rails since I've owned my car- 4.5 years. Every now and then I take them off for LONG highway trips and only get a few MPG more over the total course of the journey. Around town, the difference is probably negligible.

With bike on you can feel a little drag, especially on windy days. I took a 5 hour trip with 2 mountain bikes on the roof and a hatch full of luggage and still got 27 MPG. I think that was the best mileage I've gotten with 2 bikes up there.

I'd recommend a fairing. With my set up (and a sun roof) it gets a little noisy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a full Thule roof ski box (badged Volvo), on my 98 XC from almost day 1 when it was bought new.

Finally took it off last year and expected to see some jump in economy.

Kind of a sad, sad disappointment. There is no difference that I can feel in any way shape or form.

In some ways I suppose it is testament to the aero qualities of the wedge box.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
The worst drop in mpg in my 99 9-3 I saw with racks was between Portland Maine and Albany NY when I had eight boxed wheels on the racks. We were bringing the remaining NESA wheels to the Saab Fall Festival to donate for the raffle and it dropped my mileage down to 18 mpg.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I got a rack and fairing for Christmas and put them on right away. But being winter, I have no way to accurately measure my fuel economy between the crappy winter blend gas and the idle time to get coolant temps up to 75* before driving. I did just get 29mpg over a 90 mile mostly highway drive between 65 and 80mpg though...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Can't imagine what the MPG would be with the Thule roof box on the 9-7X Aero. 17 HWY without it!

5 or 6 MPG's lower is a 30% drop! Yikes!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It would have to be a bit. As easy as it is to op off I just lift mine off as a complete assy. Normally run with two bike rails.

Got into a race on the highway in the Red Viggen one time.. Problem was I was headed to the woods with the 29er.. About 120 in 4th felt like a tire blew. It was the Bike trying to shake off!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It would have to be a bit. As easy as it is to op off I just lift mine off as a complete assy. Normally run with two bike rails.

Got into a race on the highway in the Red Viggen one time.. Problem was I was headed to the woods with the 29er.. About 120 in 4th felt like a tire blew. It was the Bike trying to shake off!
More balls than I have with my 29er on top, I usually take back roads to the trails if I can. I've had a couple racks fail on me for various reasons though, so I'm a little skeptical of all of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts