Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced the CPS a few days ago, We just took the car for a long trip, probably 150 miles. On the way home, It reved then died. Now when I try and start it all I get is an electronic clicking that sounds like it is coming from the relay box or under hood fuse box. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any ideas? This happened when I was at idle at a stop light after having driven for about an hour and a half, mostly highway. I pulled the battery and filled it back up with water(it was really low) and charged it and am currently letting it go through a recondition that my charger has, might help, might not, but I figured it is worth a try...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really nothing? Well it seems a few people are checking this so I will keep posting on my progress, I hopes that this might help someone else in the future.

Just got the battery in and the engine is now idling at about 1800, but staying on, as soon as I give it some gas it runs up to whatever I get it to and stays there, then dies. This was all in neutral, I now have no codes, but I am not sure the engine was running long enough to throw any.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You need to reset the limp-home mechanism in the throttle body, and see if it recurrs.

The click-clack-click-clack under the hood when you key the ignition on is the limp-home solenoid making sure the throttle is actually in limp mode.

Drew

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to reset the limp-home mechanism in the throttle body, and see if it recurrs.

The click-clack-click-clack under the hood when you key the ignition on is the limp-home solenoid making sure the throttle is actually in limp mode.

Drew
Thanks, that actually seems to have gone away after pulling the battery. It did not happen this morning when I started the car up... I am about to head out and start looking for vac leaks...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I got the washer out, it came out with the old unit. The code is gone, but why are you thinking I need a new TB?

Just came back in from looking for leaks with the starter fluid test, did not find anything. Drove the car about 10ft, and now the idle is at 2k. Also there is some occasional white smoke coming from the tail pipe, while it is idling.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Give the TB and good cleaning, reset limp mode, clear code with scanner and pray. If it comes back, pull TB and send it to BBA. Check to see if something came off when you replaced the cps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just pulled the TB, it was really dirty and the bottom, vac line port was super clogged with rotten rubber, got that cleaned but I now need to go get new lines, from the parts store.

where is the limp mode reset switch? One the TB? BBA?

I have double checked all the stuff I took off when I did the CPS and that all looks good down there.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, will keep you updated, hopefully I will get the new lines on today.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so the cleaning and vac line replacement seemed to have fixed the idle and dieing issue. However I do still seem to have the rough warm start issue. This last time it started and sort of sputtered till I gave it gas, It may have been the carburetor cleaner so I am going to let it sit for 15 20 min and go out and start it, see what happens.

Thanks for all the help so far, the TB limp mode fix was really handy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I am still having a rough warm start. Starts great when hot, and cold, but if I let it sit for 20min to 3 or 4 hrs then I am having a rough start to the point that I have to give it gas. Any ideas? Could it be the electronics on the TB? The fuel pump sounds fine and it does not seem to be a valve problem either. I have replaced the spark plugs, DIC, CPS, Front O2, and cleaned the TB

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Wow, this has turned in to a rabbit hole. Maybe its the intake temp sendor, but at this point it's hard to tell, Or maybe the FPR-lots of maybe's.
Do you have a shop that you can bring it to that has a tech 2 as they might be bale to figure it out in an hour.
Edit- I did some rsearch and found a user that had somewhat the same issue. He replaced a whole lot of things like you did, and what fixed it for him was the front o2 sensor, He replaced with a stock unit, cleared codes and off he went. Worth a shot. Also, pull each plug and make sure you do not have a cracked insulator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.