Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Saab 900 Turbo:

I replaced all of the vacuum hoses connected to the throttle body with silicon hoses. Big mistake!! :roll:
When I took the car for a ride, the engine started braking up. :shock:

Engine check light went on and I received a break light error message. When I pulled over, I noticed all of the hoses popped off. I reconnected the hoses and went home. :cry:

The break light error went away but engine light stayed on.
Now I’m not sure if the hoses are connected to the correct fittings. :?:
Does anyone have a diagram of how the hoses should be connected? :idea:

Also, how can I reset the engine light once I ensure all hoses are correctly fitted? :idea:

·
7,595 Posts
one of the things with those silicon hoses is you got to make sure that you get the right fitting ones. they need to be VERY snug, much more so than the regulay hoses. I'll see if I have a pic of the C-900 engine bay so you can compare.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Actually this is in the wrong section. I'll move it to the NG900/9-3 Section.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
What are the benifits of them? like why replace your stock ones, other than looks of course?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm changing the hoses because some are cracked. I'm not going to use silicone. Staying with rubber.

·
Registered
156 Posts
:arrow: Rubber vs silicone

Rubber hoses come in only one colour. Black. You have a choice of colours with silicone.

Silicone hoses have a slightly different ID than rubber. You'd better go with the slightly smaller diameter.

Silicone hoses are a lot more expensive than a similar length rubber hose.

Silicone hoses last a lot longer than rubber and are not affected as much by heat.

If you poke around that mess of hoses, I think you'll notice that the hose from the TB to the MAP sensor is (black) silicone. As are the three hoses to the turbo.

So there's nothing wrong with using either rubber or silicone :) . Now if you like to have the hood open a lot of the time to show off the engine to friends, etc. then you may not mind the additional expense of the coloured silicone hoses, a different colour for a different function. (Suggested colour scheme for funny car - paint the engine block Canary Yellow, get pink and purple silicone hoses, polka dots optional) :wink:
But if you're cheap like me, I can pick up rubber hose for next to nothing and change the lot say once a year. The fact that it gives me an excuse to have a beer and get away from the wife for an afternoon is part of the incentive :) .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well yesterday i stoped at pepboys to purchase replacment RUBBER hoses. Last night i replaced all the vaccum hoses and took it for a ride. The old hoses must have been leaking bad because now I red line my APC in every gear. Can changing the hoses make that much of a difference? The car is throwing me to the back of my seat when I get on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
What size hoses did you end up getting?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure of size. i took one of the older hoses with me and matched it up. I'll check the size tonight and reply back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i was thinkin of doing the same thing.. let me know what mm the hoses are

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most of the vac line off the TB are 4mm, but when using silicon hoses, it is best to go to the 3.5mm for reasons stated above. One note on silicon I have experienced: Some get very pliable and others get very very hard. they are also very notch sensitive so if you happen to pull one off after some use, you might find that the notch can crack. I replaced all the line with silicon and am considering going back to rubber.

Silicon Hoes can be gotten from www.hosetechniques.com

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thanks for the info SPATL. Thats helps out alot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You know.. I've been wanting to change out my stock rubber hoses lately just cuz they seem so worn from the heat that I'm afraid theyre leaking. What is the size of the rubber hoses? In a non metric measurement if possible. Damn america. ;P

·
Registered
63 Posts
rcmdesign said:
What automotive stores sell silicone hoses by the foot?
None that I can find around here. Near impossible. Most who do have it, sell in kits specifically for the cars they cater to (i.e.- Miata Speed Shop, etc...You can buy a small universal kit at Pep boys for under $200 that will do your car and have some left over, but a lot of wasted hose as well in sizes that don't apply to our cars.

Another thing with those hoses is that the grade of silicon sold by Pep Bpys and such is not very good. I'm going to give silicon one more try using Hose techniques and see if it is any better. I bought one of those kit from pep boys...save your money.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might wanna try like a diesel truck shop. They seem to have odd things like that.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
So I stopped by my local dealership to pick up an o-ring for my distributor and while I am there I just wanted to get a quick price quote for the vacuum line that goes from the crankcase to the throttle body. For us N/A cars, it's one hose, for you turbo guys, it's two hoses connected with a "connector". The price was $54 for the one hose, 4mm ID and like 9 inches long. What a rip. Silicone here we come...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts