Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 900 n/a and I am still have a no start condition. It ran for about three days very poorly and then I replaced the ground wire from battery and spark plugs. I ran great for about 12 hrs and then no start. I just placed an order for the ign amp, knock sensor, crank sensor and some belts and pulley and couple of other things. I am not sure about replacing that crank sensor. anyone ever done that before? I have seen that you are supposed to use a couple of saab special tools. Can I get away with just tools provided by the local auto store. Also releasing the tension off of the belts and getting them back to correct tension. Any info or helpful hints much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
yep, youll just need to trim a socket down to fit over the crank pully nut,

use the starter to break the bolt loose, its the easiest way

·
Registered
54 Posts
An alternative to dealing with the crank sensor is to get a used 16V Turbo (or 86-87 16V NA) distributor, which has the Hall sensor inside it. (89+ LH2.4 distributors will have a slightly more durable connector plug; treat the plug gently.) The crank-mounted and dist-mounted sensors produce identical signals.

Deal with the re-wire from crank to dist., set base timing to 14* BTDC. Do NOT attach a vac hose to the vacuum capsule on a Turbo distributor installed on a non-turbo, but also do NOT remove the capsule, which holds the Hall sensor in place (not applicable if you're using an 86-87 NA dist.).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually thought about doing something like that but was not sure of what all was entailed. I already bought all the other parts for the crank sensor. also I know nothing about timing. but thanks for the confirmation on the how to. hopefully I can get it back to running otherwise I will be posting a for sale sign

1 - 6 of 6 Posts