Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Boston got hit pretty hard by this blizzard, and after finally digging my '01 9-3 out last night, I found it had been hit on the front driver's side fender while parked on-street. There's a large dent directly above the wheel, with the fender flare being pushed in a few inches, but it doesn't extend high enough to affect the hood. I haven't yet checked to see if the inner fender was damaged (I doubt it). The wheel doesn't seem to be bent, at least not at 50mph.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who did it and three vague guesses as to when it happened. I also have a $500 collision deductible and am less than eager to deal with insurance, considering I totaled my first 9-3 two years ago (slid into a guardrail). On top of that, my car is far from perfect cosmetically, with a couple of dents from a previous owner that were repaired but aren't hard to spot.

My thinking at this point is that after winter's over, I could just bolt on a salvaged fender and get it painted. Any guesses as to how much that would cost? I'm sure I could find a fender for under $100, but would it still be less than $500 with paint?

If I'm doing this on my own timeline, is it at all worth it to shop around for a part with the same paint code (257 Midnight Blue) on the outside chance it'll match closely enough? Considering my car's condition, I don't think I'd care much if there is a very slight color mismatch.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Its pretty easy to swap fenders. I'd call Goldwing Saab and ask for one. They should have one in your color in stock, and if you install it yourself you can definitely save some money, without going through insurance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. Hopefully it's only the outer fender that's damaged then.

I did check Goldwing's website and requested a quote, as they have a few in stock, but I may have to call them to get a real answer.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Why did you park on the street overnight in boston?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously? Because I live here, my car was parked right outside the door to my house.

It's a pretty quiet neighborhood, but apparently someone was driving like an idiot in the snow yesterday.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I thought you cant park on the street in boston...or most towns overnight during the winter.

Thats why I was wondering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I thought you were being a smartass about it. I'm annoyed because I could have had access to a driveway if I'd made arrangements before it snowed, but I had no reason to be worried until now. Live and learn.

The parking bans in Boston are only on major streets if they've declared a snow emergency. I don't think daytime/overnight factors into it. I live on a small residential side street that doesn't get much traffic, so like I said, I figured I was safe.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Oh I see.

Sucks dude. Actually I think there maybe a midnight blue '99 93 vert in 128 autoparts. I dont remember 100%

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that site! I was using mypartshop.com but it had fewer results and very little pricing info.

Did you know some guy in Framingham, MA is selling white OG9-3 fenders on Boston craigslist? Not sure how much he wants for one.

Dan, does 128 Autoparts have a pick-n-pull yard? I haven't roamed around a good junkyard in a while.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that site! I was using mypartshop.com but it had fewer results and very little pricing info.

Did you know some guy in Framingham, MA is selling white OG9-3 fenders on Boston craigslist? Not sure how much he wants for one.

Dan, does 128 Autoparts have a pick-n-pull yard? I haven't roamed around a good junkyard in a while.
Yeah, its a pick and pul. Last time I went, they had 2 c900s, a few 9000s NGs and OG93s and a 95 or 2.

They are dicks though, call ahead and ask them for a price. I think for somreason when they ask me what car it came off of, its like 10 or 20 bucsk more for a saab. They usually have almost no idea what in the yard though. I forget if theres a blue 93 vert or not. I think *think* there is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, its a pick and pul. Last time I went, they had 2 c900s, a few 9000s NGs and OG93s and a 95 or 2.

They are dicks though, call ahead and ask them for a price. I think for somreason when they ask me what car it came off of, its like 10 or 20 bucsk more for a saab. They usually have almost no idea what in the yard though. I forget if theres a blue 93 vert or not. I think *think* there is.
Well, no 9-3 vert but I did find a fender off a '97 900SE that had my paint code. They asked $65, I paid $60 for it, no complaints here considering my situation. As for what they had, there were three 9-5 sedans and a wagon, several NG900s (and maybe one 9-3?), a couple 9ks and c900s. For the most part all the Saabs were placed together which is nicer than other junkyards I've been to.

BTW, it was a real pain to pull the fender because the car was sitting almost on the ground next to another car, so I couldn't get the bumper off to reach the front bolt and couldn't open the door wide enough to reach the back two. I ended up flexing the bumper away with one hand while wrenching with the other, and had to remove the door. Hopefully the installation on my car will go a little easier!

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Yeah, their stock changes quite frequently. They crush TONS of cars there everyday.

Also, the placement didn't used to be so great. They just did that recently. And yeah, they are assholes about placing cars right next to each other so you can barely even open the doors all the way. And the fact that they take wheels off is a pain in the ass.

Happy to hear you got what you needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts