Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a remote starter kit installed on their NG? I am looking to get one but I am curious if a Saab can be wired for remote starting...Any good prices out there for a kit? Is it possible to install myself, so I won't need to take it to the dealer...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
After you get rid of the reverse lockout, you can do it without any problems. The car has to be in neutral for it to work.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i dont think its posible...being that you must have the car in reverse to get the keys out.....i know you can get a clutch bi-pass for some cars..(like camaros)
but we can ven use that...even if we past the cluth the car would still be in gear....unless the bi-pass stayd on for quite sometime

·
Registered
251 Posts
well if u got an auto u can.....but stick it would not be worth it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
you could put one on your car you just need to get rid of the reverse lockout so you need to make sure that your e-brake works good in the cold and doesent freeze up and for the clutch sensor if you have one can be bypassed with a little bit of wire altering and as for the starter kits pretty much any kind should work you just might want to see how tricky it is and if you think you could do it overall though it is not hard to install

·
Registered
134 Posts
it is possible with an auto you just need to find a kit and install it being an auto it should be much easier as well

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
good plan saabbindru...when i do get my hands on a short shifter i will look into an auto start...i love them, heat up the car on a cold morn!

·
Registered
251 Posts
umm, i dont think the short shift mod gets rid of the reverse lockout.....i think it gets rid of the need to pull up on that reverse lock thing. Big difference. I really hope im wrong cause that would be cool to be able to get a remote starter for the manuals

·
Registered
112 Posts
WS said:
umm, i dont think the short shift mod gets rid of the reverse lockout.....i think it gets rid of the need to pull up on that reverse lock thing. Big difference. I really hope im wrong cause that would be cool to be able to get a remote starter for the manuals
on http://www.saabsavior.com under custom parts, they have the short shifter, "Reduces your shift throw approx. 40%. Installation takes about 2 hour. No reverse lockout."

but the only draw back is the price..Short Shifter $250.00. Core Charge of $100.00... :?

·
Registered
251 Posts
i was under the impression the reverse lockout was pulling that lever up to get it into reverse.......someone should contact them just to clarify before spending 250 bucks. Im pretty sure ur right about the lockout being the key cant be taken out unless its in reverse.....but just make sure :wink:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Pulling up on the shifter to get into reverse has nothing to do with the reverse lockout. It’s designed for safety and to make getting into 5th easier. The reverse lockout mechanism is controlled by the key, a bolt slides out and mechanically locks the bottom of the shifter in the reverse position. The SaabSavior short shifter does not have the reverse lock mechanism so the key can be removed in any gear position or from neutral. IF you plan on this make sure that the e-brake cable has been tightened down. They stretch over time and become useless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts