Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched many remote start threads with people asking the same questions im about to, but found no answers, just rants..... (imagine that):rolleyes:

So.

I want to throw in one of those Bulldog Remote Start/Keyless Entry kits in the 9-3. Main reason being is that my banana took a shit, and ive been interested in having a remote start for a long time. Questions are as follows, keep your rants to yourself, idc to hear what you think about them. (keep in mind my car is a automagic)

1. Can it be done?
2. Is it rocket science, i know it says "easy" on the package, but is it easy on a saab 9-3?
3. Has anyone had any issues with remote start on their ng/og?
4. Anybody have a write up for installing one of these? Idk where to start first.
5. If a tree falls in a woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Thanks in advance guuuuuys.:)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I want to throw in one of those Bulldog Remote Start/Keyless Entry kits in the 9-3. Main reason being is that my banana took a shit, and ive been interested in having a remote start for a long time. Questions are as follows, keep your rants to yourself, idc to hear what you think about them. (keep in mind my car is a automagic)
drewz airflow se said:
bulldog units are complete crap. I had one over heat and almost catch my c900 on fire.
lol

Um, I know my friend who had a 99 9-3 autotragic had a remote start in it before he proceeded to roll the car. Not sure what brand he had however.

1. Yes
2. Probably not easy, it's a Saab
3. Never had one or wanted one
4. Nope, search some wiring diagrams and follow the instructions and work from there
5. Well, Yes.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
lol

Um, I know my friend who had a 99 9-3 autotragic had a remote start in it before he proceeded to roll the car. Not sure what brand he had however.

1. Yes
4. Nope, search some wiring diagrams and follow the instructions and work from there
5. Well, Yes.
Its quite easy to wire. I can do them in my sleep just don't buy cheap units.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Yes
5. Well, Yes.
lolz

Its quite easy to wire. I can do them in my sleep just don't buy cheap units.
what brand(s) do you/anybody suggest? keep in mind i drive a saab (lowbudgetfml).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Shouldn't be any harder to install on a 9-3 than any other car. You'll need to stash a key, or at least a programmed chip in the car to satisfy TWICE.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You likely don't even need to stash a key. I'm fairly certain all the twice does in a MY '99 is disconnect the ground from the start enable relay. You could run a secondary ground wire to the start enable relay that was driven only from the remote start. Lots of remote starts have auxiliary grounded outputs that you could use for this.

Just look at the options and schematics that the remote start comes with along with the 9-3 wiring diagram and then get creative ;)

Of Course if it is a manual you will have to disable the reverse lock and always leave the car in neutral when you plan to use the remote start. You can then get really creative and design an interlock switch that will prevent the remote start from functioning if the transmission is in gear.

Better make sure that your hand brake works well! We all know how crappy those can be!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Of Course if it is a manual you will have to disable the reverse lock and always leave the car in neutral when you plan to use the remote start. You can then get really creative and design an interlock switch that will prevent the remote start from functioning if the transmission is in gear.

Better make sure that your hand brake works well! We all know how crappy those can be!
Auto so no worries.

You really want to shorten your oil life this badly? :p

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Shorten oil life? From a remote starter having it run an extra 5 minutes. The way you WiscoSaabers drive I doubt the 5 minutes would mater.

Snowsaab has an auto so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Auto so no worries.

You really want to shorten your oil life this badly? :p
Like many people in winter, i let the car warm up for at least 5-10 min every time the car has sat for 3+ hours in the frigid. I dont see installing one of these is going to matter?

Do you not let the saab warm up before driving it?

The way you WiscoSaabers drive I doubt the 5 minutes would mater.
forget where YOU came from? :p

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This is an interesting thought...if you defeat the TWICE lockout you could probably install a push button start too!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulling up this topic from the grave

Well..no longer have my '99. Have my '01 now.
Never did end up putting a remote start system in the old car....

Out of curiousity. Do i gotta pull apart the center console to get at the wires i need to tap into?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
DEI is a good brand.

You'll need access to the ignition wires,climate control wires, twice wires and parking lights.
You can probably get to most of them under the dash. By you'll need some wiring diagrams.

Idling a car for more then 30 seconds is unnecessary wear and tear on the engine.
Sure is nice to get into a warm car though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You likely don't even need to stash a key. I'm fairly certain all the twice does in a MY '99 is disconnect the ground from the start enable relay. You could run a secondary ground wire to the start enable relay that was driven only from the remote start. Lots of remote starts have auxiliary grounded outputs that you could use for this.
Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I have installed a couple of auto starts and have one on my current daily driver.

I would love to install one on my Saab 93

Has anyone here installed one? If so how was it? Did you stash a key under the ignition?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Pretty sure T5 antitheft also disables the fuel pump. I'd have to double check.
x2. i was pretty sure that TWICE does way more than just disconnect the ground to enable starting. otherwise people wouldn't be in such a world of hurt when they lose their only programmed key. Theyd be able to just bypass that ground and start the car up.

i recall asking several reputable shops about installing auto start in my 1997 NG900 and not one of them would do it. Even a place that has dealt with a lot of saabs wouldnt. All told me it isnt possible if you want to keep the cars core anittheft intact.

and im pretty sure ive never seen a saab with factory remote start. probably a good indicator about the ease of doing this.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Pretty much you're going to have to leave a key in the car to appease the T7 gods, which entails getting another key cut and programmed = $$$$$.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts