Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so it's almost winter here in Maine, and I'm going to put my set of studded snows w/ c900 steelies on my c900. And so over this winter I'd like to refurb my set of 9000 directionals that I have. There is some paint chipping/corosion and I'd like to get them sparkling and shiny for next summer. So how much is this going to cost me and what supplies will I need?

These are what my directionals are like:

And these are my steel wheels:

except my steel wheels look horrible compared to those. I would like to refurb them aswell, but that's another thread this summer. :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yeah, sand them down with 400 grit paper, fill any areas that have deep chips, prep and paint. eeuroparts has Wurth silver wheel paint that is supposed to be a good match, but I've never used it myself. Most important thing is to clean any contaminants off the surface between sanding and painting. You need to clean with soap AND with a pre-paint cleaner to be sure you get all types of contaminants off--paint fish-eyes suck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The wurth "euro silver" is within a half shade of the newer OEM wheels (I curbed one of my double spoke evos, and for now just touched it up. Not noticeable until <5ft). Paint the steelies pink or something krazayyy, all the cool kids are doing it! I'm thinking bronze or maroon this winter on the vig.

Chris

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'd do like everyone suggests, this is hardly rocket science.

1. Degrease and thoroughly clean
2. Sand down with 180, then 320
3. Clean again, prep with prepsol or grease remover
4. 2-3 coats of primer...1 self-etching, 2 filler primer
5. Optional step: once fully cured, wetsand primer with 320 or 400 paper
6. Paint with duplicolor wheel paint...it's widely available, cheap, effective and comes in a few different colors. You can also use any other duplicolor paint, but you might want to apply a clear coat for durability.
7. Apply clear coat. Only do this if you want to get fancy and ensure durability and the ability to fully clean your wheels. There are two user-friendly product options:

Acrylic clear coat in spray can...cheap, but not really high gloss as you MUST buff after it's dry to get ideal look. ex: Buy.com - Finishes Aerosol Spray 10.5 Ounces-Acrylic Clear Coat

Urethane clear coat in spray can....more expensive, say $20 a can, but produces a brilliant finish. ex: Amazon.com: USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

For the wheels you're looking to re-do, I'd just go with a simple sand and repaint. Most wheel-specific paints will produce a nice luster/gloss, so you won't need a clear coat. If you want the added gloss and durability though, it's the way to go.

My recommendation: simple refinish of the directionals, neon colored paint for the steelies. I'm just about to do a set of deltas for my 1999 9-3 in some neon color for the winter, so look out for a thread detailing that. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, this is great advice. I'll look into this in a couple weeks after Thanksgiving and after I'm finished with my Trimester Finals at school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.