Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C has sucked for the last couple of summers now, no where near the coldness I need (although I rarely use it since I love to roll with the windows down)...At Walmart they had tons of refill kits for your car A/C...Has anyone used one of these before? What type of bottle do I need to purchase? And where is the location where you plug the A/C refill kit up to??

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
ive heard of people having good success with those refill premixed kits...i might get one soon as my a/c is trash...but as for where to plug it in im a 9000 guy so i cant help ya

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea i've heard success stories on this as well. The kit from Walmart you need to get is the R314 (or somthing..ill look it up). You just follow the directions. It plugs up right behind your grill next to the drivers side headlight.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Oh and you may want to do this soon, because if you run your A/C too long with no Freon, then you can burn out the compressor.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If it's leaking, it might pay to have an A/C shop check it out. They can put die in the lines and find the leak pretty quickly. Even if you don't replace anything immediately, it might be worthwhile to know where it's leaking from.

It's R-134a refrigerant you're looking for. It's illegal to sell the "old kind" (R-12) to the public these days so it shouldn't be too challenging to end up with the right stuff. Just make sure you get a straight recharge kit, not a "conversion" kit.

Don't overchage. Somewhere near the valve or in a manual you can find the amount of refrigerant you're supposed to have in the system.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
useing the self charge kits is OK - but after working in a shop which had the proper equiptment - there's a HUGE temperature differance between charging, and having it done right. I myself will typically just use the 134a charge cans, but to have it done right - get a vaccume on the system and suck it dry untill it's clean and empty - then charge with all new. This method is very effective.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I bought the kit from Walmart for $24.93 and follow the directions as so. Turn on car, turn on A/C on highest setting and attach provided gauge to necessary area on the car and I get a reading, it's low of course...So I attach the can of that shit and start pumping some into the system...The gauge slowly goes to the full mark when all of a sudden my car idles weird and the gauge sensor just shuts down...So I remove the can and test it with the gauge again to see the level, and nothing...Now I can't even get a reading on this damn gauge and I have no idea if I filled it up or not other than the obvious that the A/C is not cold...Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
U put it in on the high or low side? Sometimes that makes a differance. How much did you put in? What was "low" what zone on the gauge? I have the same "equiptment" here so I can check it.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean high or low side? I barely put any in...But it left the green area 0-25 psi...and went into the middle of blue area 25-45 psi when it shut down...Then again I didn't really open the valve to the can all the way...so it might just have pulled gas in maybe...instead of the good stuff...I am just worried I might have screwed something up...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts