Saab Link banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On erics site he talks about removing the insulation and having the engine bay tems lower... im scared if i do this the heat will change the paint color.... anyone have any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Boxerchip said:
On erics site he talks about removing the insulation and having the engine bay tems lower... im scared if i do this the heat will change the paint color.... anyone have any ideas on this one?
I would think that if anyone would have trouble with heat, it would be Eric.

If he doesn't have that problem, us "average" folk should be OK. :wink: :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
SaabScott said:
I would think that if anyone would have trouble with heat, it would be Eric.
Thanks Scott :p

It is obvious that removing the underhood insulation is not good for the paint, but the question is how bad is it. I think that over several years the high temps could fade the paint. But the extent of the discoloration will depend on the paint color and climate. I am planing on installing a thin reflective piece to help reflect the heat and keep the paint looking good

Eric

·
7,595 Posts
another option is to jet-hot coat your manifolds, down pipe, and exhaust side of the turbocharger. reduces under hood temps in the C-900 greatly. I'm sure it's the same for NG's

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm running no insulation, and there's no discoloration as of yet.

My buddy is a body man/painter and he said that I won't have a problem.

Really the hood dosn't even feel very hot after I've been driving.

The insulation is there primarily to keep engine noise down.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Try not to pull on the insulation, just pull out the fasteners.This way you don't rip your insulation and can put it back on if you have to.

·
10,303 Posts
Just put a small square of reflective insulation above the turbo on the hood. Or cut some holes in the hood...remove your bumper too. :wink:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took that crap outa there, It seems it was holding heat in... ALOT of heat. just holding it and sound proffing the engine bay a little. I am EXTREEEEMLY happy that its gone... the BPV sounds better and there is no dirt/ crap filled matt in my engine bay.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since I live in the land of high ambient temps and low octane, I can especially appreciate lower intake temps, and more detonation resistance.

Here are the things which have helped me the most (noticable difference):

1. The 82C degree t-stat from the 9000 Aero. It should fit in any NG900 or 9-3. It slightly decreases fuel mileage, but in the B235R at least, the difference is drastic in warm weather. this may be unique to the B235R, but still it made a huge difference on 91 octane and in 80-110 degree weather.

2. Thermal wrapping all the intake piping, and airbox. (a la ERP) On T7 it will only help in very warm weather, or on low octane. On T5, it should help in all conditions. (This is because of the different boost control methods.)

3. Putting duct tape over the gap above the Viggen intercooler, thus forcing the air through the intercooler instead of going over it. (You may want to use something better than duct tape, but hey, it is called DUCT tape, and it's intercooler DUCTing, so why not? It works.)

4. The coolant throttle bypass. Remember that the 9-3 has a different bypass tube size than the NG900, but works the same. I wouldn't do this in a cold climate.

Those are just what I have tried. I've also tried NPG+ waterless coolant. If I lived back east it probably would have been fine, but it caused a slight decrease in power, and I will soon be switching back to the standard coolant. In a non-performance application it does seem to improve fuel mileage, for what it's worth.

Adrian~

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hemm I would like to get a CO2 spray for my intercooler just for racing... I would be intrested to see prices.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
the sprayer you have to set up and make shure you dont get ANY into the intake..or you will loose plenty of power because the CO2 will displace the O2 that you need!..

good list Adrian!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i was talking to a buddy of mine that used to work at a dyno and they used to spray some intercoolers with nitrous bottles that they had lying around and they said that somehow the juice actually got into the intake air, in particular one car they dynoed jumped from 300whp to 330whp.... so they were all dumbfounded..... to test the theory that the nitrous was getting in, they sprayed co2 on it and ended up putting down 289whp
i am still gonna make a co2 sprayer for my car regardless, but then i will b able to test this theory to be true or not

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Boxerchip said:
hemm I would like to get a CO2 spray for my intercooler just for racing... I would be intrested to see prices.
I saw one on Ebay for about $250, but that didn't include the CO2....Have you considered spraying a water/rubbing alcohol mix? You can set up a small pump to spray the IC and another for water injection. Between the two of them, you'll seriously reduce your combustion temps....

This is the next step for me, once the ECU comes back....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i have a water sprayer right now but u really need to get the right nozzles to mist the water and there needs to be enough pressure too

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im thinking Nitrous... but i dont know where to get a kit for a good deal.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I think if you were building a dedicated street racer, something that you didn't need to rely on to get you to work or school the next day, then N2O or CO2 spray might be the way to go for some extra ponies.

I'm always skittish about tanks of NO and CO2 left in a car, especially in the summer. One clogged relief valve while you're at the mall on a hot day and you walk back to the smoldering hulk that was your car. I lived in Florida for years and every so often some guy's ride would go up in smoke! That was usually from a nitrous bottle. The CO2 tanks just explode. No flames.

I can't even imagine how I would feel!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts