Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys but my hatch cover looked like crap from sun fade and some of the carpet was coming up. It was more baby blue than black.

I bought a yard of good vinyl and some strong spray adhesive from locktite that is heat and moisture resistant. First I laid the vinyl in the sun so it was more pliable. I vaccumed the carpet really well and then carefully lifted about an inch or two of the bottom carpet around most of it. I left the faded stuff on top and used the adhesive with 2 coats on it and the vinyl. Waited til it got tacky and smoothed out really well. I was actually surprised how well it stuck.

For the edges, I stapled the vinyl down and used hot glue for the metal track part. Then used a combination of the spray and hot glue for the very edge of the carpet underneath which covered the staples up. Only regret is I used a little to long of staples and couple popped through the wood, not the vinyl though.

I forgot to take before pics but here's some finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I dont know if I like the vinyl choice but its worlds better that the faded stock stuff

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure about the vinyl either but they didn't have any carpet that matched well. Plus when I first looked at the vinyl, I looked at the cheap stuff. I ended up getting the expensive kind that was $36 a yard. Half off that wasn't a bad deal. It really does match the leather grain very well though.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Looks awesome dude. I've been meaning to take some of the suede I have left over from my headliner and do mine. Glad it turned out so well!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't even think about suede... Now that sounds sweet!
Thanks for the compliments guys!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Didn't even think about suede... Now that sounds sweet!
Thanks for the compliments guys!
Yeah, I love my headliner. My only worry about putting it in the hatch would be that it's probably not as fade-resistant as the vinyl. I might give it a shot anyway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When mine was fading, I just bought the carpet spray and repainted it... took ~25 minutes and looks better than new

1 - 7 of 7 Posts