Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Coops93 said:
i read that thread and thats what got me hooked on red line but i was just curious if anyone could compare the 2 oils. Also i have never gone about changing any kind of tranny fluid would anyone be able to give how to change on here? thanks
MT-90 and MTL are identical except for weight. Off the top of my head, MTL is a 70w80 and MT-90 is 75w90. Both are GL4 fluids. Both have the same "slippery control" additives which is part of what makes them so good.

I'd reccomend finding the acutal weights (it's on the bottles) and using whatever is closer to the fluid specified in your owner's manual. If you don't like it, you can always switch - they're close enough in weight that they're both safe to use in a tranny calling for something in that range. In VW's 02a trannies, I liked MT-90, even though they call for a slighty lighter fluid (like MTL).

If your manual calls for GL5, I wouldn't put either in your tranny.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What weight do Saab trannies call for? If you like the overall feel of your shifter, just use the matching weight from Redline. If it's the lower weight and you want it stiffer, use the higher weight. And vice-versa.

Either one will improve feel over stock fluid, if anything the synchro engagement will be much quicker. It's easy to abuse this though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts