Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went ahead and put in some Redline MT-90 with the most recent mtf flush and fill.

I have driven about 40ish miles thus far and I am very happy with the results! The transmission shifts smoother, and there is less struggle to get into 1st. The quaife seems a bit more active now, resulting in less torque steer, and more of the solid 'locking' feel. Previously I had mtf0063 and it was good for awhile, but it started to get a bit too notchy-- only after ~20,000 miles. I will post a follow up after I get some more miles on it. fwiw- the trans has about 30,000 miles on a fresh rebuild and Quaife install.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the info. My trans is a bit notchy and figured the fluids haven't been changed in a while so would give it a shot. Please post a follow up, it would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
I have Redline MTL in my c900 and love it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have always been told that anything but 0063 will cause the trans to break. I forget what it is that requires the 0063 stuff but whatever it is doesn't like other fluids. I was also debating on trying a redline fluid.......... just not sure I want to try it

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
What is the cost of the redline vs 0063.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
For as many good stories about the redline there seems to be an equal amount of bad ones so I choose to run either 0063 or dino

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
similar price I believe.... $10-15 a qt

NG900/9-3's I do not believe I have heard a good story with redline in these trannies over a long haul.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Been running Redline MT-90 for about 30k with no issues: shifts nice,doesn't leak, tranny sounds fine. I would suggest NOT running Redline MTL in a ng900/9-3 tranny. The MT-90 is thicker, it's a 75W-90, the MTL is too thin.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Redine quarts (mt-90 and others) are $10 at the shop i work at and I paid close to $20 a quart for the 0063 from the stealership. That's here in Cali where a Saab dealership has always been a Saab/Cadillac/GM/Pontiac/Hummer dealership...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
MTF0063 is something like $10 a quart from eeuroparts. It has gone down, it used to be $15.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have always been told that anything but 0063 will cause the trans to break. I forget what it is that requires the 0063 stuff but whatever it is doesn't like other fluids. I was also debating on trying a redline fluid.......... just not sure I want to try it
Considering that Saab shipped the cars with three different types of transmission oil, and MTF 0063 didn't even come out until 2002 when the 9-3 was about at the end of its production run, I wouldn't believe that one for a second. I've had Redline MTL in my '97 900 for quite a few years, and it shifts great. Before that I had Saab's original synthetic transmission oil, which was a slight improvement over the motor oil the car came with from the factory. Redline MTL has been the best at preventing the 3rd gear crunch that so many of our cars seem to suffer from.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
alright... so after a few hundred miles, it is still fantastic!!

I must say a few things...

1. Redline makes many many oils! Find out what redline product lead to these "bad stories" I bet a are from their Shockproof line of gear lube, it is not made for an application like the ng900/og9-3 trans, or anything with synchros for that matter!

view this thread:http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26189&highlight=shockproof\

2. Just as A12 said... use MT-90, NOT MTL! MTL is too light to for the transmission. for reference mtf0063 is ~75w90 oil as is MT-90

3. the price is close enough to mtf0063 and the mt-90 is better imho, check eeuro and jegs

4. whatever lube you choose make sure it is GL-4 certified, not GL-5 or GL-4/GL-5, as the latter two contain harmful additives that corrode the soft brass synchros.

redline has some useful information here....
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/MTL and MT-90 Tech Info.pdf

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
I ran Redline in my 900 trans for a few thousand miles shortly before it went kaput and shifting went from bad to worse. The low mile 9-3 box in it now seems to like the 0063.

9000 manual trans....dino oil only!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Bought the old 88 with 80k on it, put redline in it at 82k, sold car with close to 240K and tranny shifted like I first bought it. Damn that spg was a road warrior, close to 250whp and I never had the head off of it. Run redline in the viggen now with no probs at all, so far.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have used MTL in the Viggen for 4 years now with no issues. I may try MT-90 but it might be too thick for winter....

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have had two F25s with stuck / sheared syncros with this blue redline fluid. Not sure what spec. But they both happened soon after swapping fluid. Usually reverse syncro ring sticks and shears the drive lugs on the outside. All the brass parts look electropolished. So make sure to use the right one.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I ran Redline in my 900 trans for a few thousand miles shortly before it went kaput and shifting went from bad to worse. The low mile 9-3 box in it now seems to like the 0063.

9000 manual trans....dino oil only!
Which 'Redline' did you run??

I have had two F25s with stuck / sheared syncros with this blue redline fluid. Not sure what spec. But they both happened soon after swapping fluid. Usually reverse syncro ring sticks and shears the drive lugs on the outside. All the brass parts look electropolished. So make sure to use the right one.
That ugly blue fluid is a form of shockproof (I think superlight), the MTL and MT-90 are a nice cherry red like mtf0063.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts