Saab Link Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think that kit is up to year 1988.
The rack I rebuilt is out of an '87. It might not be original but I think it is. I think more likely the Edelmann 8740 kit is for the racks with aluminum pinion housing, which from what I gather are on either really early or really late cars. It would make sense that seal diameters (and nothing else) would be changed if the pinion housing were different. Someday I will find an all-alu rack and turn it into a race rack with no power and a welded up spool valve and I will report whether the seals fit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The rack I rebuilt is out of an '87. It might not be original but I think it is. I think more likely the Edelmann 8740 kit is for the racks aluminum pinion housing, which from what I gather are on either really early or really late cars. It would make sense that seal diameters (and nothing else) would be changed if the pinion housing were different. Someday I will find an all-alu rack and turn it into a race rack with no power and a welded up spool valve and I will report whether the seals fit.
I am resealing the rack out of 1987 900t and it has aluminum spool housing. The inner pinion seal matches with 8740 kit, so this is confirmed. In my experience inner spool seal never fails so I would just leave it and seal rest of the rack with 8740 kit, problem solved. I did 'manualise' one of the racks and it was bit too stiff for comfort, I didn't like it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am resealing the rack out of 1987 900t and it has aluminum spool housing. The inner pinion seal matches with 8740 kit, so this is confirmed.
Cool!

In my experience inner spool seal never fails so I would just leave it and seal rest of the rack with 8740 kit, problem solved.
I agree. I probably would have done this too, if I had had the foresight to take the measurements rather than naively assuming the kit would have the correct seals. As it was, I think I bent or tore the seal when I tapped it out with a socket.

I did 'manualise' one of the racks and it was bit too stiff for comfort, I didn't like it.
Yeah, I don't want to do it for a street car, but for a race car it might have its advantages. Have you seen those Honda bros who weld up their spool valves? It might be fun for LeMons or Folkrace or ice race or some smalltime rally. And yes, I remember the trials SAAB did, finding a faster lap time with power steering than without - but mainly I just think it would be fun. Also then I can use the power steering pump as a transmission oil cooler circulation pump.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Reliability trial, 400mi update

I've finally had the chance to install my DIY rebuilt rack this spring because of the whole virus thing. It's seriously been sitting on my shelf for years, along with new lines and everything. Life really does get in the way. Did a DIY alignment with string and calipers, and I've been driving for maybe 400 miles and it hasn't shown any leaks or trouble. I will give you another update in another 1000 miles.

I rebuilt the pump too, and first time I did it I put the cam plate in backwards. It made a horrible sound so I took it out and dismantled it and figured out the problem before any damage was done. The cam plate should have some punch marks in it and those face toward the cover of the pump, not toward the pulley! I think this caused the pump to actually pump backwards, so the rack would have been working on suction of the fluid and the pump just blasting fluid toward the reservoir.

Anyway, it made a tiny amount of metal filings but nothing too bad and it's been working fine since I rebuilt it a second time. I also installed a Magnefine power steering fluid filter in the rack return line, which is 3/8" hose. Looks like something out of the JEGS catalog but hey what can ya do.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts