Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i'm about to get my TD04 rebuild by Chadwhick and i;m debating if i should save up a few paychecks and do the 18T route. i always wanted to do the Big T28. but since i already have the TD04 on me ready to be fixed and upgraded. Why not? I'm currently running stock T25 but my plans was to go BIG T28. but it would be more of a hassle because its my daily driver and i don't have down time. i work full time. So... who here on the forums has the 18T setup and how did they like it? my goal is to reach 300whp and 300wtq somewhere that range. am i going to right direction?. Then again it would require more money for this cause i need to get injectors and a tune. So.. i'm not sure yet. the original plan was to just install the rebuild TD04 and daily drive that until i have more money for something better. Right now i think my T25 is about to go and i wanted something with a little more power. Just a little.. :eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would say that without a tune you will not notice the difference, it's that small. You might notice that the power comes on slightly later, but stays longer (doesn't die out as much at the top of the rev range) - the magnitude of that power will remain very similar to stock. However, once it's tuned it will be a different animal all together. I would say if you have to rebuild - go bigger, it won't hurt if you're running stock boost, but it will be there and ready once you have enough money to go to the next step.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The software i have now is a JSP Stage 3+ So its meant for the TD04 but i wanted to do JZW Stage 4. I never had one of his tunes before but i heard they were good. i wanted to try it out. But i dont think it will be much of a difference though. Who knows? i guess it depends on how much money i have. it would save me 200 bucks as well. I Recently ran with a Srt-4. i took him off the line 1-2 gears but once i shifted to 3rd and floored for about 4 seconds. Srt-4 Passed me up. cause the car did not pull after 70 and we were going 90. but yeah. ill see whats up. i mean TD04 would be good for now.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
...so your running a td04 tune on a t25?

if you have a 2L an 18t will not hit 300, it is almost a stretch even on a 2.3

the 18t is nice, as the power holds forever and it will boogy...id say its worth it, but make sure you have the money for a clutch too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever the JSP STG 3 tune is. its meant for the T25 but the guy that sold me the ECU was running a TD04 and he said it was fine. yeah i have a 2L. so even an 18T wont hit 300? Will the Viggen Clutch do?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Dont forget that you will need injectors for an 18 or 19t and yes the viggen clutch kit will work fine, unless you have a tune where it's high on torque.You might be able to hit 300whp on a 19t, but it will be short lived on the graph. No way my viggen could hit 300whp on an 18T as I would say that I'm at 270whp, but my tune is very streetable, no torque spike. An increase of 40whp is super noticebale so if you go this route it will be much more fun, plus you have a T5 which is better when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
859 Posts
didnt christian run like 285whp in his auto with the t28? so wouldnt a t28 in a manual hit like 300?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
didnt christian run like 285whp in his auto with the t28? so wouldnt a t28 in a manual hit like 300?
I think his tune was similar to that of a manual...testing to see how the auto trans fared (which apparently has been good so far). Could be wrong though...

·
Registered
791 Posts
If I remember correctly you lose more hp through an automatic than a manual. I usually read 10-15% for a manual and 15-20 for a automatic, so that could add about 0-15 whp, with no extra crank horsepower.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If I remember correctly you lose more hp through an automatic than a manual. I usually read 10-15% for a manual and 15-20 for a automatic, so that could add about 0-15 whp, with no extra crank horsepower.
That's a good point, didn't think of that.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I think his tune was similar to that of a manual...testing to see how the auto trans fared (which apparently has been good so far). Could be wrong though...
I originally ran a conservative tune just to see how the car felt and once I realized the transmission felt like it could take more, asked John for a balls to the wall tune. Up until the day I sold it, the only two things that were trouble free on that car were the engine and the Aisin Warner transmission. It dyno'ed 285whp/294ftlbs on a dynojet and with the 22% drivetrain loss meant that it was somewhere between 340-350hp at the crank with the T28.

That said, I do recommend filling up the transmission with new fluid before running those power/torque levels as a safeguard.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dont forget that you will need injectors for an 18 or 19t and yes the viggen clutch kit will work fine, unless you have a tune where it's high on torque.You might be able to hit 300whp on a 19t, but it will be short lived on the graph. No way my viggen could hit 300whp on an 18T as I would say that I'm at 270whp, but my tune is very streetable, no torque spike. An increase of 40whp is super noticebale so if you go this route it will be much more fun, plus you have a T5 which is better when it comes to tuning.
I Do have a T5 and i was gonna go with the giant green injectors and JZW Tune. Do you guys know where i can get injectors for a good deal ? besides GeniuneSaab?

·
Registered
791 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.