Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a taller guy, I have always had rear view mirrors in my way, especially on roundabout/clover entrances on to freeways. I always have to duck down to see, and it has always bothered me in fear that there will be someone/something there before I have a chance to duck down and look.

So a few months ago I took off my rear view mirror in an attempt to raise it closer to the roof. I botched the process and after a week I was happy with a clear windscreen. So I readjusted my side mirrors and I have a fine view behind me (reversing I have always turned and looked back so that was no issue.)

Now I am looking to see about installing a rear view camera as my radio is on the way out anyways (volume knob is non-responsive periodically)

My question is not so much how, but the legality. California law states two mirrors, but this law was ratified in 1970: V C Section 26709 Mirrors

Has anyone pulled this off? Or does anyone have any insight into these laws, professional or otherwise? I'm illegal now, so I suppose this could only be better.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to completely delete the rearview mirror to have a clear windscreen.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
How tall are you then?

I am 6'2" and the mirror is never anywhere near to being in my way.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
in CT a center rear view mirror is not required.

if a center mirror was required of all vehicles, trucks would have a tough time.

edit: from the ca vehicle code.

V C Section 26709 Mirrors
Mirrors

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers

i fail to see anything mentioning a center mirror. as long as you have your R+L mirrors you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Why not just keep the mirror off? What can possibly be so interesting behind you?
Then again, thats what I say about the road in front too ^_^

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How tall are you then?

I am 6'2" and the mirror is never anywhere near to being in my way.
I'm 6'1" and for whatever reason, the thing is freaking annoying, mainly during touge or spirited driving. My seat is slammed as low as it will go. If I gel my hair, giving me an extra 2 inches it will skim the top. How close are you to the ceiling poison beef?

Viggenkid: good point. Two mirrors including the driver side means that as long as I have the passenger, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have more of an issue with the a-pillars then the rear view. And I have an NG, the a-pillars are bigger on an OG.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Adrenaline, how the hell did you get your rearview mirror off in the first place? I actually want to remove mine to install an autodim mirror but I've no idea how to do it without cracking the glass...(convertible, it's glued right to the glass?)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm 6-3 and have no issues, I also have radar detector under the mirror, but if its legal and you don't like it then get rid of it. I removed mine from another car using fishing wire.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weird, I'm thinking that my seat doesn't adjust the entire way down.

Supergreesol, I have a 5 door, so my mirror is attached to the roof, I really have no idea how to safely remove it from the glass. Seems like heat is the best way: How to Remove Rear View Mirror Mount | eHow.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm 6'1" and for whatever reason, the thing is freaking annoying, mainly during touge or spirited driving. My seat is slammed as low as it will go. If I gel my hair, giving me an extra 2 inches it will skim the top. How close are you to the ceiling poison beef?

Viggenkid: good point. Two mirrors including the driver side means that as long as I have the passenger, I'm good to go.
I'm 6'3

I feel your pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts