Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

im putting on lowering springs on my 9-5 and the fronts are done and now time for the rear. well im stuck. i cant get the lower strut bolt out. its the really big 21mm one. it is STUCK. i have an impact gun that is good for 220 ft lbs and its not even budging. i dont know what to do next. i tried PB Blaster to loosen rust but still nothing.

just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas?

·
Registered
429 Posts
someone said you can put a torque wrench on it and push it up with a jack. the weight of the car should be enough to loosen it up.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got it out.

but now i cant get the nut off of the top of the strut so i can get the spring out. its really rusted and the impact gun doesn't get it off.

the whole shaft spins. how can i get the shaft to stop spinning? i tried using vice grips and an open ended socket but it keeps slipping.

is there any other way?

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no it sucked.

i had to grind out the nut and bushing and i have to now order new parts and a new damper/buy a used one.

ofcourse the last one was the pain in the ass

·
Registered
429 Posts
which damper was it? I just replaced all of mine so I have my aero dampers just sitting in a box. you can have them if you want, one has a leak, i just don't know which one.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rear passenger damper.

its so messed up. i grinded everything off hoping to ghetto rig it but no luck.

can you meet up? i will drive to you tmrw if you wanted. im desperate.

i do have an LPT thou so will that make a difference if i have 3 LPT dampers and 1 aero damper?

do you have the bushing and lock nut and all that too?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If I were you, I would just take all of them. After all, they will probably work better with lowering springs than what you have. Like I said, I think one has a leak but I was driving around with them up until a few weeks ago no problem. If you take them, assume that they're temporary until you get what you really want. (maybe some nice FSD's :p)
Everything I have is in this box. I'm pretty sure it's everything you need unless my mech reused some parts (i doubt that)

I work literally the entire day tomorrow, but I can throw the box in my trunk and you can meet me at work if you want. (Avon, CT)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah its okay man. thats about 6 hrs away from me. lol.

i appreciate it but i just found a kid that will sell me the rear strut assembly i need for a good price and i can go get it monday morn.

it is all temp thou haha. i would LOOOVE to get some FSDs or even just some bilsteins.

the stock ones are poop.

·
Registered
429 Posts
ok good luck!

·
Registered
406 Posts
never worth it to do this job in my opinion...I think my suspension shop charged me like 40 bucks cash for each side...the problem is this area is a rust trap and the bolts will take you all day to get off...kinda like an oil change when I get charged 10 dollars cash to change my oil...why would I do it...?

·
Registered
913 Posts
i got it out.

but now i cant get the nut off of the top of the strut so i can get the spring out. its really rusted and the impact gun doesn't get it off.

the whole shaft spins. how can i get the shaft to stop spinning? i tried using vice grips and an open ended socket but it keeps slipping.

is there any other way?
Try a nut splitter, they're $15 or $20 and handy to have. Be careful if you don't have a spring compressor on that strut spring. They launch the nut & washer.
Sleeve Sportswear Automotive exterior Bicycle part Electric blue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.