Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my rear strut tower bar. I also made aluminum bushings to replace the stock rubber ones. This upgrade stiffens up the rear end about 3 times as much as my rear sway bar mod. The aluminum bushings make the ride stiffer, but not untolerable. I especially noticed the gain in performance when turning a corner and hitting a bump or rough spot in the road. The shifting of the body feeling is not there anymore. This set up is obviously harder on shock set-ups, but I dont feel it is serious. You could also cut off the plastic end piece on the rubber bushing and use it just like i am using the aluminum ones if you wanted.

The pipe is 1 1/4" diameter, .83" thick 4130 chromoly. The end pieces are 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Nice job Clint.....

I really like that it's not much higher than the "safety bar" it sits upon, so you still have some load carrying capacity.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hi, I'm new here.

Any chance of getting more info on that brace?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the compliments. Im not selling these braces, I have only made one of them. I guess if someone wanted one I could make another, but it would probably cost a little more than you would want. I think you can find a brace for like $80, I wouldnt be able to match that price unless I mass produced them.

I should have another brace done soon. this one will stiffen the whole hatch more and serve as a mounting point for a 4 point harness.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I haven't seen a brace like the one you've made anywhere, and I have looked. Kevin Yankton's made one that's really sharp, but limits the usefulness of the hatchback almost totally. This is my everyday car, so I need that space, and a brace like yours would fit the bill very nicely.

If you know of a place that might have something similar, I'd really like to know where. Thanks!

BTW, the brace looks really good!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
somebody makes a rear strut brace that has the center bar removeable, only the mounts on the struts stay. That way you can use the full cargo area if you want, and just pop the bar back in when you're done.

Forget where I saw it... ? :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
yeah i plan on buying the rear brace withing the next couple of weeks...

looks good and affordable!!!

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Clint said:
www.saabsavior.com

I think it is still on the home page.
that one looks nice, but I saw one that you could remove the connecting bar and just leave the end pieces installed, so say you need to move a giant furniture piece, you can still fold you seats down and use the whole cargo area, you just pop out the bar without uninstalling the whole brace....

Anyone come across this one?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
yeah but with it in ther you have an excuse not to use your car!!...thats what i say about my stereo....."you wana drive to blah blah blah?" i simply reply "no i cant fit all the lugage with my stereo." now i'll have one more reason!!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
yeah but with it in ther you have an excuse not to use your car!!...thats what i say about my stereo....."you wana drive to blah blah blah?" i simply reply "no i cant fit all the lugage with my stereo." now i'll have one more reason!!
But didn't you see all that beer Eric could haul?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
:lol:

So is the saab savior one with a removeable center bar? Cause that's really affordable. And I wonder if they can powder coat it yellow!

EDIT: I have contacted John, and he said they are working on this. Oh and I CAN get it in yellow :D

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
mike saunders said:
iwantaviggen said:
But didn't you see all that beer Eric could haul?
uugghhhhhhhhhh beeeerrrrrr :shock: :shock: :shock:

*drool* *drool*

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
yeah, but I LOVE driving my car, especially with the stage 1 now! :twisted:

I look for excuses to drive it. (i only have a 10 mile commute to work each day, so I hardly drive as it is) :cry:

besides, you should have seen how handy the hatch was when on vacation/camping this summer. :shock:

two sleeping bags, a tent, a gas grill, grilling tools, silverware and plates, cups, various other cooking gear, 3 giant suitcases filled with a week and a half worth of clothes for me and the girlfriend, two chairs, 2 backpacks full of hiking gear,
a giant cooler, food for several days of camping, soap and towels to clean dishes, clothesline, beer, two thick blankets, two pillows, 2 tennis rackets and several cans of tennis balls, frisbee, football, and a sack of various beach toys, shaving kit for me and giant bag of woman "look pretty" items for her, various beach supplies like snacks, towels, bathing suits, sunscreen, sunburn lotion :oops: ,gifts for relatives who live in the area, different types of sneakers for her and I for all the different activities we'd be doing that week (about 3 pair each) , and much more... she likes to overpack. :roll:

all this and not folding the seats down or using the back seat except for two front mountain bike tires (bikes were on roof rack).

oh, and sourvenirs on the way home... including 5 heavy duty cast iron pots and pans (2-5 quart size) and 4 or 5 peices of pottery/cookware.

Now that is why I want a removeable bar, i don't want to give up that much utility. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am assuming that middle bar is not removeable? I am waiting until Saab Savior develops the rear strut bar with removeable center piece. I like to have the storage available. That's why I will never get a sub box back there. Maybe plexiglass in the spare tire area :D

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I'm telling you, there is already a removeable section brace available somewhere, I have seen it, i just can't find it now that I actually am interested in buying it.... :roll: I shit you not! :wink: :lol: any word on a timeframe for Saabsaviors'?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts