Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean the rear spoiler and side material for my '91 900 SE? It has streaks of wax on it and dirt. No matter how much I wash it, the marks return. It's made out of a hard spongy material and pieces of cloth and rag stick to it when I try to clean it.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
You definitely can't use any kind of fuzzy cloth or even a lambs wool mitt on those things. Get a soft bristle brush (a wheel cleaning brush works well) and try to keep away from the car's paint when scrubbing it.

It's extra work, but you need to tape the spoiler off when your waxing the car. The last thing you want to do is get wax on it. Over time it becomes porous and it's a bitch to get the wax out. You'll need to get a can of pre-paint wax and grease remover (Prep-sol, SherWil Clean, or Eastwood's Pre) and scrub it out with a tooth brush and blot it with an old T-shirt. Try not to get too much on the car as you're doing it as it will remove whatever wax you have on there as well.

I just had to do this to my car because my son surprised me by waxing my car--surprise! My beltline molding had gotten porous as well, so I had to clean that too.

Once you get it all clean, you can seal it with Thompson's Water Seal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely can't use any kind of fuzzy cloth or even a lambs wool mitt on those things. Get a soft bristle brush (a wheel cleaning brush works well) and try to keep away from the car's paint when scrubbing it.

It's extra work, but you need to tape the spoiler off when your waxing the car. The last thing you want to do is get wax on it. Over time it becomes porous and it's a bitch to get the wax out. You'll need to get a can of pre-paint wax and grease remover (Prep-sol, SherWil Clean, or Eastwood's Pre) and scrub it out with a tooth brush and blot it with an old T-shirt. Try not to get too much on the car as you're doing it as it will remove whatever wax you have on there as well.

I just had to do this to my car because my son surprised me by waxing my car--surprise! My beltline molding had gotten porous as well, so I had to clean that too.

Once you get it all clean, you can seal it with Thompson's Water Seal.
Thanks Turbocon86! I will do that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.