Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While most of the interior is out of car Im contemplating mounting battery in the spare wheel well .( I carry Tyre repair in a can) . My main question is : does an earth lead need to return to engine bay or is straight to body near the battery okay?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
While most of the interior is out of car Im contemplating mounting battery in the spare wheel well .( I carry Tyre repair in a can) . My main question is : does an earth lead need to return to engine bay or is straight to body near the battery okay?
Do not even attempt to run it back to the engine bay, ground it to the body.

Just make sure that your motor/trans is also well grounded to the body.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Where and how did you run the + cable back to the front of the car?
Boat type battery boxes are useful in anchoring a rear battery as well as keeping fumes(?) contained and potentially directing them to the outdoors , as these often have vent tube hookups.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
relocated battery

Here are some photos . The car is right hand drive so cable runs down left through the big gromet behind the glovebox ,In your case steering wheel. Hey Where are my photos? are they not a recognised file type?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
i usally delete the Ac/acc and put the battery in the false bulkhead-- much easier and it gets it out of the way

i feel like a rearmount could lead to grounding issues as well

·
Registered
645 Posts
i have had 2 cars with rear mount batterys, never a problem with grounding. just use some 4ga from the engine to chassis and battery to chassis, try to keep em as short as you can, use multiple if you arent comfortable;) good luck

·
Registered
385 Posts
Deleting the AC seems rather drastic.. for any reason.
IMO the entire point of a trunk mounted battery is to shift 30/40 lbs of dead weight to the opposite end of the car and as low to the ground as practical..

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Why not just remove the spare tire and call it done. lol Moving a batter to a fish tank seems like a questionable task - don't 9000's spare tire wells just retain water until the pan rots? LOL - It's a large 3100lbs 5door car - I don't see any real gains from this. Enjoy! Perhaps some nice color pictures could change my mind.

Is this car going to be for "race use" only? I could understand this then.

·
Registered
645 Posts
^^ lol that is very true.. all the cars i have done it on was for clearence of intercooler or down pipes.. never noticed a shift in the weight and both cars where >2800lbs

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I imagine I feel the difference . Mindyou my car weighs 1300kg with half tank of petrol (no ac rearseats undercarpet) .I did this in conjuction with removing one coil from the front aero springs That certainly improves things ,just waiting now for the konis to arrive. Currently doing hillclimbs every 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey You are probably right. Though as I may have mentioned before the car feels more composed with a little more weight in the rear ( noticed this when transporting a small comercial coffee machine approx weight of battery) .Its lowering the center af gravity in the process. Spare wheel well is alot lower than original position.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nonsense .. If you really cannot feel the difference ?
Time for Perf Driver's School ? ..now there is a mod that keeps on giving, no matter what car you are driving. The "teach a man to fish" analogy :)
Can you feel not the difference between a 1/4 tank of fuel and a full tank?
V similar Kids.
Spare wheel, at least mine, is much less mass than my Battery.
If Brave you could eliminate the spare. But having had need to use it, a couple of times, that's not overly clever on a car that gets daily use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.