Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was contacted by one of my parents friends to do his rear main seal in his 2002 9-3se converible. it is a 2.0 with an autobox. what would you say this job is worth. also is there anything about the auto that will give me trouble taking it out? i am used to working on my 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Have to pull both axles, drop the subframe, and then pull the auto-box. My buddy and I did it in a day on my 9-5. Probably 6-8 hrs of work, I don't know what the book would charge.

I don't think an auto would be any different from the 5 spd. Maybe some more electronics, and the shift selector is a bit different than the clutch/and selector. Perhaps the auto would be a tad easier.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Auto is probably heavier so make sure you have another body.

I've heard that the rear main seal is troublesome to replace without the proper tools.
I bought one for when i did my clutch, but it was dry so I decided to leave it alone.
Do you typically charge a flat rate or hourly? Pretty involved job for a $20 part. Probably a good 5-8 hours.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
do you need to drop the trans to do a clutch and rear main on a 9-3? I know you do on a 9-5...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
do you need to drop the trans to do a clutch and rear main on a 9-3? I know you do on a 9-5...
Yes, on pretty much all cars. You have to move the transmission back far enough to get the input shaft out of the crank. Usually there is not enough room to just scoot it back and then do the work, so most likely you need to pull the trans out to get the room.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
ouch that sucks.

I would suggest some other work to be done "while you're in there" then...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts