Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Saab 93 SE and the rear light message is on in the SID Display but all the rear lights are working fine.
I have replaced the 3rd level brake light,all bulbs and bulb holders in the rear lights with no success.The ground in the LH trunk area is good also.
Does anyone have any answers for me?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Check the two bulbs above the rear license plate.

Make sure both filaments in the two outer lamps (brake lamps) are working, they're right next to dimmer running lamps, and sometimes look like they're ok even when they aren't working.

Pull the bulb trays and check all the contacts, and make sure one of them isn't installed backwards or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both brake bulbs and licence plate bulbs are working fine.I even replaced them.Both bulb trays in the trunk have been replaced also as has the 3rd level brake light.All lights are working perfect.Its this rear light failure message comes on in the display.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Could be the rear fog or the rear running lights, or the reverse lights also.

SID will only show 'BRAKE LIGHT FAILURE' or 'REAR LIGHT FAILURE' messages, so if it's not a brake light, it could be any of the other ones. I have seen cars that show lamp failure messages even with all the lights working, that's possible too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try this! This is what loveb told me over SC :)

Hey mate, had the same problem on my 900 'brake light failure'

What I did was remove the bulbs on each and I scratched the contacts with a screw driver. Cause I noticed mine had a bit of sut or dust on them. You can also try sliding the screw driver a little underneath the contact and try to pull it up so that it pushes harder against that bulb. Solved my problem atleast. Haven't gotten the warning in about a year and a half now

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
All the lights except the headlights in that 9-3 are powered directly by the TWICE computer, only the headlamps get their own relays.

TWICE does the current draw monitoring to decide when a bulb is burned

Good tip on the bulbs Chad, will keep an eye out for that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you Drew.I'm afraid the TWICE under the drivers seat has an internal fault.Every other option checks out.This is the last thing on my check list and is an expensive part to replace just for a rear light failure message.Thanks for the feedback.
Your correct aswel on the relay for the headlamps.Its the orange one under the hood and has nothing to do with the rear lamps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can pick up a TWICE cheap enough, but it's getting it married to your vehicle that is the PITA. I've had trouble with different brand bulbs too in the past. I know you have replaced practically everything by now, but are they all the same brand, and have you popped in alternate bulb types by mistake? Apparently the resistance on those can be slightly different...

·
Registered
574 Posts
According to the WIS, rear light failure points to the 4 parking/running lights in the brake lights. Assuming there's no corrosion anywhere and the bulbs are all the same, the TWICE is probably bad.

If you want, I might be able to pull a TWICE this weekend and you can have it in your hands by Sunday evening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the offer of the TWICE but I need a key or chip that is married to the twice box before I can program my keys to it with the TECH2.
I can marry it to the car no problem as I have a TECH2 at my disposal.
How much do you want for the twice box?Do you have a key or remote with it also,otherwise its no good.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have a similar issue. I replaced my driver side brake light since I was getting the error for it and it wasn't working. The new bulb lights up with the one next to it when you turn the lights on, but when you brake it doesn't do anything...the contacts looked clean...How does this happen?

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have been getting this message anytime i turn on my lights.

BUT, when this pops up, my right pass taillight goes out (brake light still works though). all my console/cluster/sid lights go out as well. it also blows fuse 29. some crazy short that I can't figure out where it is...

i used to get everything back on by turning the lights knob back and forth, but it doesnt work anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts