Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '91 c900 sedan and I have been having problems with the brake lights. The 3rd brake light is fine, but the other two in the rear circuit panels haven't been working. I found out it was a contact problem, just bend up the contacts is one of the rear brake light bulb holes and they work. Then this morning I got to the end of my street and only the 3rd one is working again. I tried the same trick, but to no success. Also at this same time, the right turn signal started blinking to fast like the bulb was out, it wasn't blinking so I took it out but the filament is fine inside. So I have no clue what to do now. I'm going to go take the circuit boards out now and snap some pics. Anybody got any ideas what is causing this? Yes all the fuses are fine too, and all of the turn signals are on one 15amp fuse anyway. Help would be appreciated!! :-D thanks.....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Do you have a test lamp? Get back there with the lights / flashers on and see where you have current and where you don't. It could be a bulb, it could be a bad ground, it could be that you need to rebend the contact so it touches again.

If you don't have a test lamp, get one! You'll need it with c900 taillights.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah up till now I had been just bending the contacts so it touches again. I asked my dad cause he had fixed it like 5 years ago when it did the same thing, and he said that he had to drill a hole and solder on a new ground wire or something like that. I checked all the bulbs and they're all fine.

yes I know the ground wire is broken off, that's my first check:(left)

(right):

some rust:

what are these little lights for that are between the two bigger bulbs for the brake lights? They never light up:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I resolder that ground wire, do you guy think it'll work fine? Also this is a new problem. Of the car is in reverse, the blinkers will not function and the left blinker stays on instead of the reverse light......

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that was my next thing to troubleshoot. But I got it fixed!!! It was a ground wire that had come unsoldered, so I resoldered it, and we're good as new. I should probably clean up that rust though. How should I do that? Steel wool?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes that was my next thing to troubleshoot. But I got it fixed!!! It was a ground wire that had come unsoldered, so I resoldered it, and we're good as new. I should probably clean up that rust though. How should I do that? Steel wool?
Due to the Over all resistance of the tail lamp circuits heat is genorated, This will in turn eventually cause your alternative circuit soldierd on ground to fail again. Direct fit LED 1156-57 replacement bulbs do not have the "Current Draw" that standard bulbs due, If you switch the standard bulbs with the extreamly low current draw LEDs you will not have the Heat problem that causes the tail circuits to fail.

Note order the color of the bulb that coresponds with the color lense it goes behind. Red to red, white to white, Amber to amber etc.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I would do that, except that a pack of two LED's is like $15 at Autozone. would NAPA have them for cheaper?
Ohh My Pool Lad, Whats a Ticket for equipment failure from your local officer cost? What Do Tail lamp circuit boards cost? What do standard bulbs that destroy hundreds of dollars worth of tail lamp boards cost? The 15 dollar two pack is the Cheap way put. Trust me. I Know these things really, Check Ebay for the cheapest LEDS, And "Superbright LEDS" for the Highest quality. Choose what ever you can Afford between the two of those.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I might take a look into replacing all the lights (except the headlights) with LEDs. I am thinking of getting a set of LED side fender indicators off of elkparts.com.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ok, I might take a look into replacing all the lights (except the headlights) with LEDs. I am thinking of getting a set of LED side fender indicators off of elkparts.com.
Now that is a waste of Money:lol:, If your so worried about 15 bucks than Don't waste your Money on Pogie Bail like some silly turn signal indicator bulb that fixes Nothing. Stick to the Point, Just fix the Brake lights. No more No less, Just make it safe. The brake lights & Dash lights need Led upgrades, Any where else is just a waste and not necessary.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just ordered mine from

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I ordered

2 | WLED-x5: 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base Bulb| $ 3.94 |
WLED-NW5: Natural White 0.95
------------------------------------------------------------
2 | 24-xHP: 1 High Power LED Sub-Miniature Wedge Base Bulb| $ 2.49 |
24-WHP: Cool White
2 | 1156-x3X1W: 4Watt HP LED 1156 Bulb | $ 16.95 |
1156-R3X1W: Red
1 | 4410-x9: 9 LED Festoon bulb | $ 4.74 |
4410-NW9: Natural White 2.25

Over at sc, there is a thread with comparison between the dash lights and regular lights. Since my dash lights currently don't work, I'll hopefully fix them as well.

The taillights are going into my '79 so the bulbs were 1156 instead of 1157. When they arrive this week, I'll try and get pictures. I would source some new tail light assemblies w/o rust.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oooh, LED dash lights sound cool. I don't like how dim my instrument cluster is at night honestly. I should look into upgrading all the bulbs to LEDs this summer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So I took apart my dash/cluster to fix my rheostat. I now have dash lights and got the leds installed. The problem was the contacts were bending too little to fit into the hole on the back of the cluster. I'll have some more pictures tomorrow once I get everything back together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts