Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm one to notice stupid things on my car, more than I think most people do (aside from you guys), noticed the other day that my right rear rotor was much cooler than the other 3 after a long drive. So I pull the wheel, and wouldn't you know, the caliper seems to be seized open. Could be worse I guess, could be stuck shut. Either way, that means in the very near future, I'll be needing to do some brake work. I think I'll do both if I can, since that will eliminate any question as to how long the other has left. Any suggestions on where to get my new rear calipers? I don't really want to order online, since most have a core charge and would take longer to finish that way, and from the looks of it, eeuro's pricing isn't any better than my local parts stores. Anyone with any suggestions or whatever, feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did the 300mm swap with all parts elite. Haven't looked back since!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I did the 300mm swap with all parts elite. Haven't looked back since!
So did I. Meaning I have my old rear calipers around here somewhere. Give me a minute and I'll see what I have. Ocassionally, you can restore an old caliper with a brake bleed. I am batting 500. on that one.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Found 'em. I have a set of rear brake calipers and rear rotors from a 1997 900 Turbo. The rotors are in pretty good shape with little wear. The calipers had about 95,000 miles on them before I did the 2003 Aero upgrade to my car 18 months ago.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found 'em. I have a set of rear brake calipers and rear rotors from a 1997 900 Turbo. The rotors are in pretty good shape with little wear. The calipers had about 95,000 miles on them before I did the 2003 Aero upgrade to my car 18 months ago.
Any chance those would fit my 98? My rotors are about ready to go too. I'm fairly certain the 97 rotors might not fit the 98, at least from what I've read. How much was the Aero upgrade? Did you buy from GS, or source it yourself?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I believe only the front brakes changed from 94-97 to 98 but I'm not fully sure

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the same. Tweek might know or DeLorean.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
They are the same. I checked Eeuroparts.

·
Registered
811 Posts
hows that working out for yah? now that i've got the viggen i'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so if I go to do the upgrade to the 300mm Aero brakes instead of just replacing with like parts, what do I need to get besides calipers and rotors? I have no idea what fits, so please pardon my ignorance as I've never done this swap. I know you can buy the pre-assembled kits for this, but is there any cost benefit to sourcing it myself?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You may also need these;

GenuineSaab.com

I needed them because the '97 900 NG has solid lines up to the caliper. I bought used rotors and calipers from BYastremsky from a 2003(?) 9-5 Aero.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may also need these;

GenuineSaab.com

I needed them because the '97 900 NG has solid lines up to the caliper. I bought used rotors and calipers from BYastremsky from a 2003(?) 9-5 Aero.
Seriously, that's all I need in addition to rotors and calipers? My existing parking brake parts will work? I know I'd need the hoses, since I too have the hard lines up to the caliper.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Seriously, that's all I need in addition to rotors and calipers? My existing parking brake parts will work? I know I'd need the hoses, since I too have the hard lines up to the caliper.
That is correct. This does not affect the E brake.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was able to pickup the 300mm brakes from elite for a Lil over 200 shipped. Included calipers, rotors, pads and dust shields. California parts = no rust too!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is correct. This does not affect the E brake.
Well that's good news. Know anyone with 9-5 calipers and rotors who doesn't need them anymore? For that matter, have you been in any junk yards lately and know if they've got any? I'm all for doing a little work if its a good deal.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Needs to be an aero model, I believe. Look for the vented rotors.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well that's good news. Know anyone with 9-5 calipers and rotors who doesn't need them anymore? For that matter, have you been in any junk yards lately and know if they've got any? I'm all for doing a little work if its a good deal.
Contact Tweek. He is a master at finding parts nationwide. He found the correct calipers for me when I did the front brake upgrade from a junk yard in Georgia. I did all of the business over the phone and they were happy to ship.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts