Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1988 Saab 900 2.0 SOHC N/A that I picked up non-running for $700. While trying to diagnose the problem, I noticed a couple lonely connectors in the engine bay. One appears to be two one-wire female connectors just next to the block under the exhaust manifold. The other is, as best described a half-oval connector with a clip tab and two round female sockets, it looks like it comes out of the main harness which is close to the starter. If i remember correctly, one of the colors on the half-oval was orange. Might post a picture of them later if I get the chance. Would these possibly keep the car from running?

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saab will have few connectors just sitting like that for no reason. You got K-Jetronic saab, those can be a problem getting running again
I know there are some problems with the ECUs on these not grounding the FPR during cranking. Thinking this might be the problem. Taking pics of the connectors today and jumping 27 and 30 in the fb.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
can you hear the pump start priming when you turn the key to the ON position? flip the rear seat up to make it easy to hear. If you can hear it run for a few seconds before starting the car then it is working and you have another issue

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you hear the pump start priming when you turn the key to the ON position? flip the rear seat up to make it easy to hear. If you can hear it run for a few seconds before starting the car then it is working and you have another issue
A little hard to hear over the power antenna, but had a friend take a closer listen and nothing...

· Registered
1,730 Posts
that's probably your issue, I would start there. You should hear it prime. Make sure it is getting power first when you turn key on before you buy a new one.

I don't recognize those connectors off the top of my head.

· Registered
502 Posts
I know there are some problems with the ECUs on these not grounding the FPR during cranking. Thinking this might be the problem. Taking pics of the connectors today and jumping 27 and 30 in the fb.
I had this problem on the same year/engine. It would start and run with the fuel pump jumpered.

that's probably your issue, I would start there. You should hear it prime. Make sure it is getting power first when you turn key on before you buy a new one.

I don't recognize those connectors off the top of my head.
This. Jumpering the FP in the fusebox will confirm power at the pump.
I'm guessing those connectors are not related to your issue.

· Registered
3,177 Posts
The only place that I can recall those two contact grey 'oval' connectors on the C900 is for the radiator fan. Does your car have one radiator fan, or two?

Does your engine have the starter motor under the exhaust manifold, or under the intake manifold? On earlier cars with K-Jet with the starter under the exhaust manifold, there were additional terminals on the starter that run the fuel pump while the engine starter is cranking. It's possible it's a leftover from that.

Do you have a Bentley manual with the wiring diagram?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it has two, but I see what you are saying. The passenger side fan does have a connector that looks very similar, but looks to be a little bigger...

As for the starter, it is under the intake. Would the remnant connectors be causing my fuel pump problems? Or did they bypass that for the later jetronic cars? I do not have a manual but would be very interested in obtaining one. I bet it would help a lot.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had this problem on the same year/engine. It would start and run with the fuel pump jumpered.

This. Jumpering the FP in the fusebox will confirm power at the pump.
I'm guessing those connectors are not related to your issue.
I guess since I'm not hearing it, the best solution would be a fuel pump? I know the paper clip I used is jumpering them because the insulation on it started to come off from the heat.

· Registered
502 Posts
Check for 12V at the pump when you've got it jumpered. If there's no power, the pump might not be bad.

· Registered
502 Posts
Access to the top of the fuel tank is under the floor in the hatch/trunk. Fuel pump is left of center (the larger round plate) and fuel level unit to the right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.