Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So latelty my car started to have isssues, its a 99 9-5 with 80k miles. The issue occures after I park or leave the car, for some odd reason it loses power randomly? I park, pull out the key and then there is no power to the lights, consol, starter, or anything in the car...its just dead...come back 3-5 minuets later and it works fine...Any ideas on what the issue might be, I never encountered anything like this before :confused:? I hypothesis its the battery but its so random and its slightly more then a year old?

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Does the SID chime the 'BING-BONG' warning sound when you try to start it?

If it really is doing absolutely nothing it is possibly the ignition switch, but that's a really big job to change on a hunch without being able to test anything when it's acting up (since it's so infrequent).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really dont think its the ignithion, as the car looses power completely, so when i do start it the sid is reset (the clock is reset) as well as there seems to be no power even to the alarm system and I cant see how a faulty igninition switch can do that...Next time I will check the power coming from the battery, will drag a multi meter with me...that will clear up if its a battery issue or not why didn't think about that earlier...regardless any other speculation will help...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So you have a copy of WIS.... but you want someone on a web forum, who cannot see your car, to direct your fault tracing???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow dude take a chill pill....I was just looking to see if I could be directed to a post or some info to testing...the wis is not exactly the most clear thing on how to test for faults ( case and point at ABS faults. and accessing it for me is not exactly simple as its on a laptop thats 8 hours away from me atm) but Im sorry for asking about help...about something that I cant find much info on the net my self and it seems like you guys have seen this issue before so, you know a friendly nudge in the directing of where to look for testing procedures or other info is useful... I don't expect you to do a wright up on how to do these tests just for me but if you know or seen a post some where that does have that info it would be nice if you could post a link....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Sorry, that makes more sense if you can't get to your wiring diagrams, but since your issue isn't common and is intermittent, there may be nothing you can read online that will necessarily help you, I have spend a lot of time and effort training on diagnosing electrical problems, and these cars are starting to get old and they're pretty complex - it can often take several hours of thoughtful fault tracing to get to the root of the problem for something like this since it doesn't do it all the time.

The ignition switch has 5 sets of contacts, you'd have to back probe each set while the car isn't keying on to see which set has failed. It would probably be easier to just change it rather than trying to test it since you basically have to remove it to test it anyway. You can use the switch from any NG900 or '99 9-3 or '99 9-5. MY2000+ ones are different.

It's also possible the main relay is sticking open, it's in the interior relay panel, under the fuse block above the driver's feet, it's the middle relay in the 2nd row (from the front of the car).

You may also just have a loose battery cable end, the early 9-5's have issues with the positive cable corroding inside the crimp connections, check it @ the battery terminal, maxi-fuse block next to the battery, alternator and starter lugs.

See where that gets you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts