Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I finally installed my new radio after all the cold weather weve been having. I didnt secure it yet because I forgot to bring the dash kit with me. So I installed everything and left the radio in the hole. I hit boost in second and it came flying out and hit my knee. A wire from the radio pulled out of the harness (I crimped connections). So I replaced the fuse on my battery wire on my harness because it blew. It was a 2a and I put in a 10a for testing purposes. I replugged the connection to the harness. Radio didnt work. So I checked the inside fuse box. and outside fusebox. No blown fuses from what I could see. I checked the radio fuse and the other one that sounded like it was an interior acc. fuse. I also tried taking the harness pin off of the wire and just sticking bare wire into the harness and holding it there to test if it will work. No work. The wire is not a live wire now. What other fuse blew because I dont see it. I dont see the radio frying because the wire pulled out of the stereos harness, so its like cutting the power to it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
(I crimped connections)
If one pulled out, you may have caused several other bad connections....
Pull the adapter harness out and test each lead on the radio side with its respective body side lead. If your adapter checks out, check if you have power and ground at the body harness. If that checks out, the radio itself is probably dead.

·
Registered
104 Posts
replacing a 2A fuse with a 10A fuse is dumb. you have now defeated the purpose of the fuse to begin with. it is to protect circuits from issues just like this. While you think it's ok, your circuit does not. you now provide full power and a short can occur burning out a component that will not burn out the fuse. The purpose of the fuse is to sense and blow out before the component blows. the other reason for the fuse is to protect yourself from electrical car fires. your wires were designed for 2A not 10A and 10A may be enough to overheat the wire in a short and cause it to burn.

Two things, you broke the radio when it flew out or your have a loose connector when the cable pulled and maybe something else shorted when this happened.

Put the 2A fuse back in and see if it blows when you reconnect everything. That doesn't mean you radio isn't already fried, but its a test. if the fuse blows, you have a short you didn't notice. If it doesn't then your radio is already blown or you have a loose connection or broken cable somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts