Saab Link Forums banner

Radio Install Kit?

21K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  lacedwithGRIME 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2000 93 Viggen and am looking to install my nakamichi single din deck. I have been looking for a dash kit, and cant seem to find anything specific for the saab. Crutchfield has a honda kit, and metra has some generic one that is recommended. Which one do you guys use that looks good? Crutchfield wants $20 bucks. I know there is crazy markup on this stuff but at that price I might as well give my local best buy some biz. Where do you guys get your pockets and wiring harnesses?

#11 ·
Thanks guys. That makes me feel better about the kit now. Il def. be using a harness also. As far as door speakers go....I have some focal utopias (6.5") that Im hoping will fit nicely without much work. I plan on taking off the door panels to see what im working with as far as space and stuff this weekend. Any tips?

#17 ·
Any tips?
Don't use the OEM plastic woofer mounts - I installed some good quality dynaudio drivers in them and they shattered - realy they shattered like safety glass. really strange. Take the time to make some plywood/mdf-sandwich rings. It takes some craftsmanship because, well, you'll see - it's an odd fit but do this up front to save a hassle later.

As for the plastic bits - I too broke a few. do it when its warm out or carefully use a heat gun on the areas to warm up the plastic so it bends instead of snaps. The little plastic sail panels where the side view mirror adjusters are especially.

I did not do this on my 9-3, but a shop did it on my old 900 - instead of trying to thread better quality speaker wire through the oem wire harness into the door(it's a no-go - or at least VERY difficult), drill a small hole just below to thread good quality speaker wire in. One hole on the door and a matching one a bit higher up or lower down on the door frame. Use rubber grommets to prevent the metal from cutting the wire. Silicon it up.

#12 ·
There are a few screws along the bottom, one in the handle, one in the pull. After that just give the door a panel a pull and it should pop off.

(I think thats all the screws, I'm doing this from memory)

#28 ·
What are you guys doing when you run the power wire? I see a harness that goes into cabin on passenger side but it looks so high that Id be taking the dash out to get to the wire in the cabin side. I read somewhere there is a place behind the drivers side fuse box in the engine bay...is this the most common point of entry for power wires?

#29 ·
Just above the clutch there is a grommet you can get through. Is a pain in the bum but not too bad. Search around for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.