Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2000 93 Viggen and am looking to install my nakamichi single din deck. I have been looking for a dash kit, and cant seem to find anything specific for the saab. Crutchfield has a honda kit, and metra has some generic one that is recommended. Which one do you guys use that looks good? Crutchfield wants $20 bucks. I know there is crazy markup on this stuff but at that price I might as well give my local best buy some biz. Where do you guys get your pockets and wiring harnesses?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the pic not show all the parts included? Does it come with hardware to secure the radio above that fill pocket? If so Il order it from there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thats all it comes with. When I put mine in my ng900, the pocket snapped in below the SID, and I used the cage that came with my head unit to mount the radio.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get the pocket from Genuine Saab like chevyman posted. Here it is installed in my NG900:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Pimp and I are going to start a don't cut the wires club.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Harness is a must. Goodluck with installation, always remember, with saabs always something fits different! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. That makes me feel better about the kit now. Il def. be using a harness also. As far as door speakers go....I have some focal utopias (6.5") that Im hoping will fit nicely without much work. I plan on taking off the door panels to see what im working with as far as space and stuff this weekend. Any tips?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
There are a few screws along the bottom, one in the handle, one in the pull. After that just give the door a panel a pull and it should pop off.

(I think thats all the screws, I'm doing this from memory)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
there are also a handful of those godawful plastic rivet things. Try not to break them, but you probably will anyway.
them stupid plastic rivet things. Between the doors and c-pillars I have almost non left.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any tips?
Don't use the OEM plastic woofer mounts - I installed some good quality dynaudio drivers in them and they shattered - realy they shattered like safety glass. really strange. Take the time to make some plywood/mdf-sandwich rings. It takes some craftsmanship because, well, you'll see - it's an odd fit but do this up front to save a hassle later.

As for the plastic bits - I too broke a few. do it when its warm out or carefully use a heat gun on the areas to warm up the plastic so it bends instead of snaps. The little plastic sail panels where the side view mirror adjusters are especially.

I did not do this on my 9-3, but a shop did it on my old 900 - instead of trying to thread better quality speaker wire through the oem wire harness into the door(it's a no-go - or at least VERY difficult), drill a small hole just below to thread good quality speaker wire in. One hole on the door and a matching one a bit higher up or lower down on the door frame. Use rubber grommets to prevent the metal from cutting the wire. Silicon it up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive been planning on some mdf rings to mount them anyway because I think depth will be an issue with these speakers(focal utopia 6.5s)....does the window come down and interfere? Im going to start with the install this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I've had Polk/Momo MM6's in my doors for 5 years using the factory plastic buckets. I did have to remove some plastic from the back and I also had to notch the door a little bit to clear the binding posts. but they fit fine and have held up great.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/recent/mm6/
They are 6.75" in diameter.
Mounting Depth: 2-13/16" (7.14cm)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The current line of Focal Utopias have a 72mm mounting depth. Mine are 71.4mm. You should be fine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts