Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bullshit...I called the dealership...And they said I have to bring the car there, and they will remove the radio and verify it with saab to get the code...There's got to be a way to just get any code, a universal one, and it'll work...

From Saab's Site:

It will be necessary for the vehicle to be taken to your Saab dealership so the service department can take out the radio and locate the serial number that is located on the side of your radio. Once they have obtained the serial number, they can look up the code.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Rob,

Nope...there's no universal code. The code is actually derived from the serial number on the underside of the radio. Its a anti-theft precaution. I too pulled my negative cable a while back, and had to do the same thing.

Luckily it only takes about a minute to look up after they slide your radio out and get the serial.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea having coded radio can be a bitch. Its not like someone is really going to steal the factory Saab radio :roll:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ced, is the radio code hidden in the serial code, cause then he could just look it up, i know my code is 3435

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
No they probably have a formula they use to derive the code from the serial. Similar to a VIN number, except each number or letter doesn't stand for something specific.

·
Registered
584 Posts
They call Saab USA, who keep a table giving the code for each radio serial number - it's not coded in any way, it's just a random assignment that's stored in a table.

If you take the radio out yourself and call the dealer with the serial number on it, they may give you the code. My local dealer always has - they just put you on hold and call Saab USA with your code. They're not technically supposed to though, because then anyone who stole the radio could just make the call. But I've had good luck - might be worth it to save a trip to the dealer and all the waiting while they do it themselves.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
and once again - who steals an OEM Saab radio?! You'd hafta be outta your mind to wanna do that - but yes - DeLorean and I have walked in several times to a Saab Dealer with Radio's to get codes - takes about 30 seconds for them to look it up and tell you. It is kinda a PITA no doubt - thus why there's no factory radio in any of my Saab's (and the fact i wanted better) :p

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just called my old dealership in the philadelphia area and I pulled my radio out to give them the serial info. Took them one second and I got my code over the phone. Screw this dealership here...Damn old stiffs....

Anyways. I tried entering codes too many times, and now all I get is ----
If I unplug the negative side of the battery again, will it say CODE IN again instead of ----

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Lol...yea i forgot about the lockout once you enter too many codes.

Once again the dealer knows how to reset that. You have to press a combination of buttons together, but I tooootally forgot which ones.

You maybe able to call the dealership back up and ask how to clear it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Turn on the ignition, then your radio. Press and hold down the"BAND" button. After a couple of seconds, the prompt "CODE IN" should appear.
Enter your code. :D

If you entered the wrong code, you're only locked out for an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts