Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow Saab lovers,

A mechanic has identified a small leak in the radiator causing the coolant reservoir to be used. Before I straight up replace the radiator I went and bought radiator stop leak to see if it could be a simple fix.

(2006 9-3 2.oT)

My question is where do I put the stop leak? I'm assuming directly into the radiator as the instructions state? Where on the radiator do I pour it into?

THANKS AS ALWAYS

L

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Dear lord, do NOT use stop-leak.
All that crap ends up in your cooling system forever, and diminishes performance for a lifetime.

If you MUST use it, you have to completely flush your cooling system so that it's 100% water. not 97%, not 99.99999%
100% water.
You then run the junk through until the water heats and the pressure pushes the stuff through the leak, and it seals the hole. After, you drain the water/junk and flush again, and re-fill with fresh coolant.

If your radiator is leaking where it's crimped, you can get some vice grips and re-clamp it. it's worked for me a couple times in a pinch, but you run the risk of doing damage if you're too aggressive.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If the coolant is leaking into the automatic transmission cooling loop (a common problem on the earlier 9-3's, but no unheard of) the stopleak will destroy the transmission if it gets in there.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Probably better to know where the leak is and fix it. Might be able to fix radiator - stop-leak stays in the system forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear lord, do NOT use stop-leak.
All that crap ends up in your cooling system forever, and diminishes performance for a lifetime.

If you MUST use it, you have to completely flush your cooling system so that it's 100% water. not 97%, not 99.99999%
100% water.
You then run the junk through until the water heats and the pressure pushes the stuff through the leak, and it seals the hole. After, you drain the water/junk and flush again, and re-fill with fresh coolant.

If your radiator is leaking where it's crimped, you can get some vice grips and re-clamp it. it's worked for me a couple times in a pinch, but you run the risk of doing damage if you're too aggressive.
Thanks for the words of advice. Decided against it, going to find leak and most likely replace radiator. OEM recommended? Or aftermarket okay here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts