Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a great setup for a friendly race. Got on the highway behind him and as he merge over he started to speed up I got behind him by three car lengths and matched his speed of 50mph. He realized I wanted a go at his STI, and probably thought the Saab would be easy prey, so he hit the gas. I down shifted to third and stayed right with him, actually gaining slowly closing to two and a half car lengths. He smoothly changed lanes to get around a car and I followed. Maintaining a safe distance from him and the other cars I dropped back to a 3 car length from the STI. The straight away we were on was coming to an end and a long curve was coming up.

At this point I hit the rev-limit in 3rd at 7000 rpm and shifted into fourth. I knew that the rev-limit at 3rd meant I was going 115 mph and the curve ahead, that I have taken many times, would not let me go more than 125 mph or I would loose control. I again gained on the STI and closed to the gap to 2.5 car lengths by the beginning of the curve.

The STI fell victim to the same lateral g-forces as me in the curve and was forced to maintained a steady speed of 127-130 mph. I held the curve as best I could but my stock suspension and winter tires would not allow me the same steady speed as the STI. With a few mph difference the STI was able to widen the gap to 3.5 car lengths by the end of the turn. But once I was on the straight I floored it again and was able to cut the gap down to 3 car lengths.

At this time he tapped his brake lights realizing that our speeds were getting dangerous. I looked down at my speedometer, 138 mph was fast enough for me and I slowed it down, race over. He pulled over to his exit ramp and I came up next to him. He was in his late 20’s to early 30’s and gave a friendly and rather surprised wave. I smiled back and gave him the thumbs up and we went our separate ways.

This is how a street race should go. Open highway with no traffic, except for the very beginning of the race, both of us pushing or vehicles but not to the extreme limit. It was fun and friendly. My ski rack didn’t help my aerodynamics and if the road was completely straight I would have been able to pull along side him by the end. I was actually surprised my Saab was faster than the STI, especially since I was using my low boost setting, but I didn’t know what to expect since I had never raced one before. Wish I had it on film.

Beware the Saab,
Eric

Edit: Forgot my suspension isn’t completely stock, I do have the SAS rear swaybar, which helped for the curve. Everything else is stock.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Nicely done!! I wonder if that STI had any mods, because I've heard of other Saabs being able to run with EVOs, and I know your NG is pretty well modded.

·
7,595 Posts
Nice run! I remember your "fly by" on the last saab run when we were all on 78 in light traffic. His car can move :lol: My car is not good for high speeds like that, unfortunately, because of my 900-S transmission :x I am limited to 130 or below if I want to stay under the redline. I have shocked a few people before with the SPG's handling up to a point. With a set of Energy MXV4 plus tires in dry weather... holds the road like glue :twisted: Knowing the cars limits helps too.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
even with no mods... verry impressive! good job man

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
saabindru900 said:
with your low boost setting, wow! awesome man :) :wink:
Well it's all relative. My high boost is 25 psi so I consider 20 psi low boost.
:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
good story. Nice to know there are some truely good racers out there. As in they don't get mad when something can keep up, they respect what can keep even, they are safe about it, and can still give a smile and wave at the end to the other driver.

Ian

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
saab90089 said:
good story. Nice to know there are some truely good racers out there. As in they don't get mad when something can keep up, they respect what can keep even, they are safe about it, and can still give a smile and wave at the end to the other driver.

Ian
Amen.

·
User
9,193 Posts
EDIT: my mom understood why i needed to race one time.... and i got the finger at the end of it.... :lol: lets just say the ricer in the honda was pissed lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
if you didn't finish in the lead, how did you win, i understand you were gaining and due to speed you had to slow, but usually if you race on a 1/4 mile, and if you are gaining on him, but don't pass, you aren't winning, not to be rude or anything, but i honestly do not consider that a win. although i am glad that you did decide to race politly on an empty highway and within reason. very responsible, good job :)

~justin

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never said I won, I am just happy that my Saab is faster than a STI at speed. When I had the pedal floored I was gaining on him. If we had done a head to head rolling start I would have finished the race ahead of him. But I stared behind him and I am not going to try a suicidal 130 mph outside pass on a curve just to win a race. If I were to race him in a 1/4 the STI would kill me by more than a second.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I never said I won
true, but you said you didn't lose, and if you didn't loose, and you didn't win, then what did you?

yes i too agree that saabs look much better than sti's

i was at the mall the other night, and i saw an brand new blue sti, and it had purple neon lights under it, and only two of them worked, the back one, and the drivers side one, lol, and it still had temp plates... all he did was drive around in circles by the enterance to the food court like 20 times, trying to show off, except that everyone was laughing at him, it was awesome, he finally left, and i know he wasn't looking for a parking spot because he passed like a bunch of them

~justin

·
7,595 Posts
I have seen that sort of thing too often, more often than not, people in DSM's or old T/A's pull that :roll: I will never understand the point of it :?:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i really dont think it matters that he didnt win and he didnt loose....Eric just ran against an fokin STI and his ng900 was keeping up and gaining....and was taking turns the same as the STI.....all i have to say is good job Eric!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts