Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to my dad this weekend, he said that their 1995 900 S was starting to make a whining/whislting noise when accelerating uphill. He doesn't have a turbo, so I am at a loss as to what to tell him. I thought maybe a wheel bearing, but he'd hear that all the time.

He doesn't want to take it to a dealership either, so if any of you know of a good Saab mechanic in the Augusta, Maine area it would be greatly appreciated!

1995 Saab 900 S, A/T, 77,000 miles

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You say it only happens going uphill? Have you checked all of the fluid levels in the Automatic tranny? I would place a bet that it is related to the tranny.. perhaps a clogged filter or low fluid levels? If you have low fluid levels you can get sucking noises from the sumps in the tranny (atleast in other cars) when goiong uphill as the fluid shifts in the case. That is my best guess at this point.

As for a good mechanic...well cant help you there since I am in California but I hope you find something.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The upper idler pulley (the one at the top, nearest the firewall) is probably on it's last legs. You can change it yourself if you want to, a few basic tools are needed. Don't wait too long, if that goes you will need a tow truck.

As a side note, there is a :idea: 'short belt' modification that was posted on the saabnet NG900 bb, it uses a shorter belt that bypasses the lower idler pulley. I've posted a link below to Michael Briand's web page, he's a SAAB enthusiast who has done this modification and has posted the instructions (with pictures):

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
VincentD said:
The upper idler pulley (the one at the top, nearest the firewall) is probably on it's last legs. You can change it yourself if you want to, a few basic tools are needed. Don't wait too long, if that goes you will need a tow truck. http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/shortbelt/page1.html
this happend to me in my '96 900se luckly i was hearing this noise then said ill go home and check it out..two houses down...boom! pully shot off....it suckt!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
rcmdesign said:
Does this have any performance bonuses? Does it affect the engine at all? I've seen this modification and just wondered whether it was worth it.
No, no performance bonuses. What it does do, however, is take an idler pulley out of the equation. This one is also the most difficult to remove. I personally have not done this modification as my car is dealer-serviced, but I did have to replace three pulleys once, and was around when the work was done. It is not something I would care to do myself.
The other thing is, the dealer here in Thailand is open seven days a week, no appointment needed.

For you guys who do your own maintenance, taking a pulley out of the equation means you have one less thing to worry about. The upper idler pulley replacement is a roadside repair. The lower idler is not.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I've passed your info on to my dad and we'll see what happens from there.

I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the A/T fluid. It was down somewhat and when filled the noise went away. Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts