Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
LOL at the name "glock talk." Lots of comedians around there...

Glad it seems to have worked out, though I'd still have it looked at by a Saab shop. 14 quarts of engine oil and no trans oil can do damage pretty quickly....

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Used to see it all the time on the 99-900. Drain the trans oil and put 4 more quarts in the engine. Always a gamble what would happen first, engine throw all the oil out or trans seize up.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Even a jamoke should have smelled that the fluid coming out of the bottom of the car was different.

Transmission fluid has a wicked different smell than engine oil.

Not to mention the taste*

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quite the story.
I know it's common at all kinds of shops/dealers to simply squirt in the supposed required amount of oil (or other fluid) and call it done....but not checking the level after waiting a few minutes is just plain stupid.
This has happened to me, but luckily never off by enough to cause damage.
And people wonder why I carefully review my invoice and crawl over/under the vehicle after any service that I didnt do myself.
I find the same thing with having tires changed...95% of the time they're inflated wrong and usually 5+ psi too high.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Used to see it all the time on the 99-900. Drain the trans oil and put 4 more quarts in the engine. Always a gamble what would happen first, engine throw all the oil out or trans seize up.
I've heard that that's why they got rid of the drain plug on the 91+ boxes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
With 4 pages I wasn't going to do a read of the whole doo-dah deal but Tweek, if this is a pal of yours did you mention to get a sample of the fluid?

I would get even a grab sample of that stuff, best would be by an independent party, but IMHO (what does that H stand for ? :confused:) , anyhow, in the best of all possible worlds, an inde with a chain of custody (even pencil whipped on the computer), and then sent to a lab.

What labs do a lot of guys use for oil analysis, they must do other fluids too?

A darn good lab could isolate the components and quantify the amounts. Run the proportions off and there is your answer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts