Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
look at it again.. the belts are at the firewall and the clutch is in the front...there is a chain off the crank that drives the transmission

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
yea, the engine sits like it could be RWD but it's FWD

Common mistake for people not familiar with the cars.... pop the hood.... & many times they as is it RWD

Years ago I took my SPG to a dyno & they were in the process of setting it up to dyno the rear wheels..... they were shocked when I umm..... FWD

·
Registered
633 Posts
I actually saw a rwd classic 900 once! It was refered to as "Saabstang" it had the powertrain out of a mid 90's mustang. It was just one of the creations that came out of lincoln way!

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I actually saw a rwd classic 900 once! It was refered to as "Saabstang" it had the powertrain out of a mid 90's mustang. It was just one of the creations that came out of lincoln way!
Oh sure, there are a few. The Saabstang belongs to the dinks at Automotion in Billerica MA.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
ya all of the older Saabs are front wheel drive, only the very new XWD aren't. If the belts/pulleys are towards the fire wall the motor is in there correctly. One of the reason's that Saab c900s are so good at handling and don't have torque steer, is that even though it is a front wheel drive car the drive output is totally balanced to both wheels, as opposed to a normal FWD car which has the pulleys toward the side fender which makes uneven torque to one wheel or the other, which under hard acceleration, will rip the steering wheel out of your hands if you don't have a good grip on the wheel.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
as opposed to a normal FWD car which has the pulleys toward the side fender which makes uneven torque to one wheel or the other, which under hard acceleration, will rip the steering wheel out of your hands if you don't have a good grip on the wheel.
The TL I own has 270HP, FWD, and no torque steer.

Now, the 9-3's I used to have...is another story.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts