Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a cheap place to ride my dirt bike. Looks like PA state land is a good bet, but I have a few questions. Did some google searches but I cant really find any definite info.

First off, all the info on state websites only say ATV. They consider an atv to have 3 or more wheels. So does that mean that I don't need any regisration? Or do they not allow dirt bikes?

Second: I have a 2 stroke (01 KX 250). If I buy a spark arrestor muffler, am I good to go? or are 2 strokes a no-no?

Feel free to add any other useful info I should know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You need tags and liability insurance to ride on state land, at least it was that way when I registered my sportsman 700 in '07, pretty sure a dirt bike is considered an atv here.. Although I think bike regulations are actually more restricting. I can't remember if there are db requirements. SA is required.

Edit: found this on the DCNR site,hope this helps

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/operation.aspx

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Might try pm'ing PaulH. I think he may have done some research around this subject. Can't remember for certain.
I'm not sure, I've got a Dual Sport (XL600R) with a plate and all, and even with that I'm pretty sure I can't technically go on ATV trails, but its pretty murky. I'd really be interested in any info you find out, but I bet you'll find that you'll be limited to private land basically, I don't think there are any designated trails that allow dirt bikes, just ATV's.

Paul

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Ill have to make some calls or something. Paul, you are probably right though. Found a place that gives yearly memberships for 335, but I don't think I'd go enough to make it worthwhile. I'll keep searching though, I'd like to find somewhere by next summer.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you feel like taking a drive, theres tons of trails in potter county and most people up there don't care.
Certainly a possibility. I wouldn't mind driving a few hours for a good days ride. One of my friends relatives has a cabin in the mountains, not exactly sure where, but I should ask him about trails there. I kinda forgot about it until you mentioned that.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
If you feel like taking a drive, theres tons of trails in potter county and most people up there don't care.
This is likely true, they have a very big ATV trail network up there, and probably wont give a rats ass if you drive your dirt bike, as long as its reasonably quiet and you dont drive like an asshat. Also, I hear Reading Anthracite gives out permits to ride on their land http://www.readinganthracite.com/ or they did, not sure if it still goes on. From what I gather they give out a limited number of permits each year and they have lots and lots of land around the Frackville area somewhere.

Paul

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just as a tip where to start. Go toward Scranton area and take State Route 6 in towards the Olyphant area. Route 6 follows the ridge line for miles and is essentially built on what appears to be the slag and tailing of the old mines.

The place is all 97% ATV trails and goes up and down the hill and the tailing piles are pretty challenging. Looks like a lot of activity.

Hint .. you can stop in many gas stations and fill from a tax free pump for any farm or off road vehicle.

You are bringing back some memories of just a few years ago. For the last ten years I had the keys to a cabin on 88 acres that was atop the hill overlooking Hancock from PA. I never had to worry about going off road or worry about regs because I had a bit of paradise. No electricity or water, no phone or bathroom. Just pure tranquility. My buddy sold it without telling me. Just sole my bikes last spring.

Go on Google Maps and hit satellite and zoom in. Those trails should stand out and you can probably even see access roads. I can still see the "race track" my son and I cut into the hay meadow, it shows up on Google.

·
Registered
369 Posts
A polite friendly call to the local Pennsylvania State Police barracks in that area will probably net a lot of information on the requirements. Possibly the individual ranger station .. just pick a few state parks in the area and call.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
This is likely true, they have a very big ATV trail network up there, and probably wont give a rats ass if you drive your dirt bike, as long as its reasonably quiet and you dont drive like an asshat. Also, I hear Reading Anthracite gives out permits to ride on their land http://www.readinganthracite.com/ or they did, not sure if it still goes on. From what I gather they give out a limited number of permits each year and they have lots and lots of land around the Frackville area somewhere.

Paul
A lot of the locals have loud exhausts and partake in quite a bit of asshatery, including torching cabins, but thats a whole 'nother story, a lot people have hunting camps up there, with 100 acres plus, they couldn't care less, and those that do post no trespassing signs every 2 feet so you know it. Just stay off the main roads unless your getting fuel (its not uncommon to see someone sitting on their atv with the fuel nozzle stuck in the tank at the local stations. Its almost a lifestyle up there, we used to meet up with the locals and tear up the trails all the time. We would ride all trails to the sportsman club at night and grab some food and drinks, and most of the backroads, in fact almost all are unpaved and marked for atv travel. Tons of fun to be had, but its about a 4 hour drive for you or me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.