Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question...So me and my friend decided to change my brake pads on my 88 900T. The front were really easy...while the back were really hard...we could not get the piston back in to place the new pads in. We tried pushing it in, with and without the bleed screw open. We tried turning and pushing the piston...It did not wanna go back in. We finally got it in and got the pads in but my back brakes are really weak now. They don't grab on good. What is the proper way to push the pistons back on these old c900's? And how can I get them to grab on strong again? Should I bleed the whole system? :confused:

Help please...

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
There is like a 12 or 13mm bolt you take out of the back of the caliper, then you turn the adjuster under that bolt to get the piston in. Its been a long time since I have had mine apart so dont hold me to it. I would try and adjust them first. Then if that does not work I would bleed the system.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yup, adjuster's under the cap, believe it's got a 14mm head. To adjust you need a 4mm allen wrench. Spin the adjuster back and push piston in. You may need to do this a couple times to get the piston all the way in. When you get your pads in and caliper mounted use the same adjuster to set the e-brake

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Be sure that you don't have your park brake engaged.

Now, a word of caution--be delicate.

There is a 14mm dust cap on the back of the caliper near the top. Remove it and inside is an adjustment mechanism that has a 4mm female hex (use an allen wrench). The mechanism is not a screw that you turn out. It is a shaft with a gear at the bottom held in the casing with a snap ring. It engages another gear on the internal mechanism that effects the piston depth. Sometimes the teeth on the gear get a little misaligned. If you force it, they will break--guaranteed. If it gets stuck, turn it back a little and then try the other direction again. It also helps if you spray a little white lithium grease in there. You need to turn the mechanism the same direction as unscrewing a screw. Back it all the way out until it snugs--again, don't overdo it. You may need to push the piston in at this point, sometimes it gets stuck.

When you get the brakes installed, tighten down the mechanism all the way (reiterating, don't overdo it). The brake disks should not turn at this point. The pads should be snugged right to them. Now go back and turn the adjustment screw out 1/4-1/2 turn and spin the disc. It should turn freely. If you have the adjustment too tight, your disks will get red hot and crack or warp. So take the car for a little spin and check them for excess heat. If they are a overly hot, back the mechanism out another 1/4 turn.

Don't forget to put the 14mm dust cap back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts